Canjam 2010.

Duggeh

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit OCD with my tea

It's impossible to get a good cup of tea in a hotel. You have to use the coffee maker to boil water which is a) never hot enough, and B) tastes like coffee, and the tea itself is terrible. Even in the restaurants, people don't seem to understand that tea needs water at a boil, and that the cup needs to be preheated. I've taken to traveling with a paired down tea ritual:

evian 1.5l.jpg +

ch050.jpg + Coffee Mug 2.jpg + 10004.a.detail.jpg

I'm a bit OCD with my tea

:P

I just got a pm from someone I've met a couple times, certainly don't dislike.....but.....asking if I would share my room with him. Is the room situation around the airport really that desperate or do I just put out the vibe that that's an okay thing to ask me (real question)?

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I don't think it's appropriate for a man to ask a woman he barely knows and vice versa if he could share a room with her. Shoot, I wouldn't ask a guy unless I knew him fairly well.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I don't think it's appropriate for a man to ask a woman he barely knows and vice versa if he could share a room with her. Shoot, I wouldn't ask a guy unless I knew him fairly well.
I wouldn't either. It's possible we're both old-fashioned, but I can't really think of anyone I know - or anyway, associate with willingly - who would find this normal, regardless of age.

I wouldn't say yes to someone I didn't know well enough. And it takes me a longer time than most people to get comfortable with new people to that extent. The M/F issue not being thought through by the chap is just a secondary layer of impropriety on top of the first. He shoulda had a place to stay sorted weeks ago.

It's impossible to get a good cup of tea in a hotel. You have to use the coffee maker to boil water which is a) never hot enough, and B) tastes like coffee, and the tea itself is terrible. Even in the restaurants, people don't seem to understand that tea needs water at a boil, and that the cup needs to be preheated. I've taken to traveling with a paired down tea ritual:

evian 1.5l.jpg +

ch050.jpg + Coffee Mug 2.jpg + 10004.a.detail.jpg

I use Amazon.com: Thermos Stainless Steel Tea Tumbler with Infuser: Home & Garden and bring a little baggie of loose tea. I love that thermos/brewer :)

I just got a pm from someone I've met a couple times, certainly don't dislike.....but.....asking if I would share my room with him. Is the room situation around the airport really that desperate or do I just put out the vibe that that's an okay thing to ask me (real question)?

tell him he can sleep at the airport for free.

Even in the restaurants, people don't seem to understand that tea needs water at a boil, and that the cup needs to be preheated.

I'm no tea aficionado, but it was my understanding that the best tea is made with water that has never hit a boil, because boiling drives off the oxygen required for full flavour development.......?

I'm no tea aficionado, but it was my understanding that the best tea is made with water that has never hit a boil, because boiling drives off the oxygen required for full flavour development.......?

I've heard that, but even assuming oxygen is necessary, you'd have to boil for a long time to remove enough to make a difference. Indeed, practically speaking, boiling at normal atmospheric pressure is not a particularly good method of oxygen removal from water, and the oxygen returns as the water cools. Too cool of water is a much bigger problem.

Maybe I'm just sensitive these days, mostly with my girlfriends lecturing me fairly daily on how I have to stop being like one of the guys, but that really bothered me.

You have a PM, and no it's not another roomy request. :D

Oh, and I got the same PM as well.

Edited by swt61

is it one of the NY guys

yes

Got same request myself, but had to politely decline. Told him Al and i needed lots of room, made lots of noise, amd that Vicki was the only one who might have space.

Was that wrong? :)

I keed .... Suggested he contact ipodbj.

I'm packing here too. No bottles but Stax transformers and speaker cables aren't exactly feather weight... Might have hit a snag as there is no luggage allowed on my connecting flight according to my e-ticket... :palm: I'll have to sort that out in the morning and figure out where that hotel I'm staying at is in Boston.

The netbook is at least loaded with music and TV shows so it should make for an ok flight

Nae haggis. Proper haggis is illegal in the states anyway iirc.

Do be sure to pack your accent though. I'd be so disappointed if you sounded like you were from California.

You too spritzer! It's been a good while since I've heard an Icelandic accent.

Do be sure to pack your accent though. I'd be so disappointed if you sounded like you were from California.

You too spritzer! It's been a good while since I've heard an Icelandic accent.

I often have expectations of voice for people I've never met in person. I remember seeing (hearing) Tyll on video for the first time and the reality was different to my expectations. Somehow I had expected a general-american Brian Blessed. I wonder if Birgir is some kind of cross between The Swedish Chef from the Muppets and Optimus Prime ;) Or if your voice has any stereotypical Texan drawl or is closer to Sarah Palin (who is the only Alaskan I can think off off the top of my head).

My accent tends to morph when I'm surrounded by foreign ones. As does my vocabulary (esp when I'm with Dundonians or Glaswegians). But I'm told that it's pretty thick and characteristic Edinburgh accent. Personally I fucking hate hearing myself played back on tape, not because of my accent but because of my cadence.