The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

OK, OK, I was kidding, please don't beat me up. I'm already on the Mafia's bad side.

I better run.

I'd watch the back of my head if I were you... :dotu:

do you have the Amphenol part number?

78-S6S is the WPI socket and I think they just kept the Amphenol number as I've seen the same number on some sites.

But I don't want to converse with only you and Spritzer here. Where is everyone else? Did I fart?

I've been away on vacation and didn't have internet. But even so, I'm tired of making the same arguments over and over again. I'm not here to try and convert anyone to my views, so there's no need to pointlessly repeat the same banter. There's another forum for that...

BHSE looks smoking hot. Though hopefully not literally.

hum.. ok..

BTW, interesting looking amp here:

6moons audioreviews: Western Reserve Audio Design WRAD*300

bet that circuit could be tweaked to drive the SR-007 pretty decently:

That does sound very interesting. Plenty of drive at least and all good tube choices. Are you starting to grow fond of parallel output tubes...? ;)

On another note I think it's time to try a SET amp with an output transformer just for. Given the needs of the SR-007 it will never be a good match but some of the other phones might like it. Should be dead simple to build and a good excuse to stock up on some 845's... :rolleyes:

BHSE looks smoking hot. Though hopefully not literally.

The BH is definitely hot :o

My Aleph gets too hot to touch for more than a second or so after its up to full running speed, the process involves intermittant ping noises. It's slightly irritating as I'd like to be able to fit it in my rack but I'd be concerned it'd overheat and I can't put it on top because theres a turntable in the way. Instead its on a breadboard on top of a footstool. Isolation gurus would have a fit.

...which we Americans are going to package and securitize!

Ahh ;)

One question, is the Stax SRS-2050A a good entry to stax? I know that there are reviews out there, and I have read them, but reviews are just impressions which don't tell you how they scale against others.

I'm currently using the K701, but I'm still not too excited about the sound. And I was thinking that before I blow more money into a better amp for the K701 maybe I should give stax a go first.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Ahh ;)

One question, is the Stax SRS-2050A a good entry to stax? I know that there are reviews out there, and I have read them, but reviews are just impressions which don't tell you how they scale against others.

I'm currently using the K701, but I'm still not too excited about the sound. And I was thinking that before I blow more money into a better amp for the K701 maybe I should give stax a go first.

Any advice?

Thanks!

The K701 do not excite you because they are not exciting. For you:

Sell

K701

Buy

Phones: Lambda Pro

Amp: SRM1/MK2

So, anyone else think that the SR-007 is dark-sounding? :P

I'm listening to it now and it sounds pretty damn good. I also used it yesterday and the day before. I switched out the GE 6CA7 and put in a Mullard xf2 00-getter quad on the ES-1 and kept the Bendix 2C51 and Tung-Sol 6SN7GT round plates I was using before with the Jade. Bass impact and quality seem quite good. Dynamics are excellent. On Tyll's thread about the HD800, he mentioned the O2's poor bass and dynamics, which surprised me.

I'm also using a Zana Deux with various dynamics such as L3000, PS-1, HD650 and I don't think their dynamics are better. The L3000's bass quality is top-notch, but it also has several weaknesses such as congestion and lack of air. The PS-1 has massive bass impact but it can become overbearing and I don't think its bass is as detailed or textured as the L3000's. The HD650 is hardly a high-dynamics headphone; it is smooth, slow and laid-back and sometimes bordering on muddy compared to the Qualia or electrostats. Bass quantity is decent but I don't think it is exceptional quality bass.

I packed up the Jade Sunday night and shipped it out yesterday, so I don't have it anymore. Somehow I'm not missing it, even though I was listening to it all the time during the past two weeks.

With the 007t the SR-007's bass is meh, overblown, muddy and lacks all the texture which the 007 does so well, but feed them well and they shine. Me thinks Tyll needs to spend some time with a properly setup 007 (the arcs will also have to be modified to fit his head) and see why we love them so much.

I never liked the 6CA7's all that much with the O2's since the bass was too boomy and they did some strange things to the treble. They were a much better match to the He90 though but in the end I did change back to the Mullards due to their more linear bass and better tonality.

:eek: No way. He, whoever it is, is crazy :cool:

The SR-404 frame plus the better glue which I use does bring about a slightly different sound which is more controlled. The earpads also change the bass quite a bit.