The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Well you just keep on conversing about the same dark matters all the time, and frankly I think folks are getting tired. :P You have your opinion, fine, we get it, get over the fact that others disagree. :cool:

Well I dont get his point, but he doesnt seem to want to answer my question anyways, so nm

Well I dont get his point, but he doesnt seem to want to answer my question anyways, so nm

I skipped over your post when I first saw it because it was long, and forgot to get back to it.

When I say the O2's seem dark-sounding, that's in comparison to other headphones.

I'm talking about how they compare with many other headphones, including other Stax headphones such as the 4070, SR-Omega and Airbow SR-SC1. It's not a lack of details. It seems as if a hidden treble knob inside has been turned down very slightly. Or another way to describe it, is that a range of keys on a piano, not all of them, are being played one key down.

If someone thinks the O2 isn't dark, that they are neutral, that's fine with me. I'm not arguing this. It is a matter of opinion and we each have our own references. I'm saying that they are darker than many, or most, other headphones that I've heard. As a comparison, and less a matter of opinion.

Anyway, it seems no one want to discuss so I'll sign off.

Edited by Elephas

I have to agree that the O2's are dark compared with the 404s. But that darkness is more realistic in sound than otherwise for most headphones. I have not heard the other versions of the Omega other than my MkIIs but these to me have a very good balance. So maybe it is that I don't know real balance, but this is the best I am aware of for now and probably forever using a KGSS with Blackgates for an amp.

I skipped over your post when I first saw it because it was long, and forgot to get back to it.

When I say the O2's seem dark-sounding, that's in comparison to other headphones.

I'm talking about how they compare with many other headphones, including other Stax headphones such as the 4070, SR-Omega and Airbow SR-SC1. It's not a lack of details. It seems as if a hidden treble knob inside has been turned down very slightly. Or another way to describe it, is that a range of keys on a piano, not all of them, are being played one key down.

If someone thinks the O2 isn't dark, that they are neutral, that's fine with me. I'm not arguing this. It is a matter of opinion and we each have our own references. I'm saying that they are darker than many, or most, other headphones that I've heard. As a comparison, and less a matter of opinion.

Anyway, it seems no one want to discuss so I'll sign off.

lol, no problem with that. I just wanted to understand your opinion on the "darkness" of the O2s. So basically its a problem of treble energy then? You must like a more upfront sound, thats what im getting at.

Hey Slwiser, you going to attend canjam 09? I own the O2 MKIs and ive never heard the O2 MKIIs, so if you come maybe we can swap and listen.

Just a warning here. Discerning subtle differences between headphones in meet conditions is impossible. There is just too much noise. If you really hope to get a real comparison a CanJam09, you'll have to do it in a quiet room somewhere.

Aw, heck, just get Alex to reterminate the 950 with one of his nice Amphenol silver plugs...

And I agree wholeheartedly that the OII is dark, at least with all the existing amps... but, maybe something will be along shortly to jolt them into submission. I have seen the silk, and the parts are all in place...

I will have to make Omega like sockets for my ESP950 in this case :rolleyes:

Now we're talking!!!

Aw, heck, just get Alex to reterminate the 950 with one of his nice Amphenol silver plugs...

The Koss cable is far to craptacular for that. The phones need some PC-OCC goodness.

And I agree wholeheartedly that the OII is dark, at least with all the existing amps... but, maybe something will be along shortly to jolt them into submission. I have seen the silk, and the parts are all in place...

How about we beta test the damn thing first... ;)

Well it's the first time I've really really liked them :) I will definitely check them out with the finalized bhse when that's available. They are starting to border on tempting now. I'd say I regret pulling out of the bhse list, but then I'd have like 10 less sources and we can't have that can we.