The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I believe there is an error in the schematic posted at Headwize?

Yeah, the +350v connection for the bias supply should come from the emitter and not straight off the rectifiers. I've done pretty much everything I can think off to fix this (two separate PSU's, changed the diodes to UF4007's, removed the bias supply entirely, changed the caps used, tried two different but identical transformers) but still no change. :(

This is getting silly. I'm going to send you my 007t until Justin finishes with the DX. Embarrassing. :palm:

Nonsense, then I don't get to try the 717 I have my eye on. ;D

Dinny, what Al isn't telling you is that you'll have to do his CLE for him in return. Gee, are there ethics classes involved in CLE? >:D

Sweet jesus, anything but CLE...

Dinny, what Al isn't telling you is that you'll have to do his CLE for him in return. Gee, are there ethics classes involved in CLE? >:D

Sweet jesus, anything but CLE...

Good idea! I've got quite a bit of gear I would be willing to trade to avoid that CLE time vampire. :palm:

Nonsense, then I don't get to try the 717 I have my eye on. ;D

:P

Got the SRM-X pro today :D Its surprisingly well-built; the casing is made of anodised aluminium, and the colour matches rather well with the O2 (its the same colour, but darker). Even the knobs are nice and solid, which is quite a departure from the stuff I'm used to seeing in the SRD-X. Love the mini input on the front too.

I have nothing to compare it with, so I'll just say it sounds okay.

Normal bias SR-Lambda showed up today. Very much midbass heavy, but thats probably due to the missing damping layer. I sure dont remember them sounding like this when I last heard them. I would currently rank my my Stax as SR-404>Lambda Pro>Lambda. ESP/950 is the best of the lot though.

Thanks for the info. You could try swapping the damping layers from your Pro to your normal bias just for kicks (careful handling it, of course).

I think I'm done with Lambdas now, though, since I still have the half a Lambda and can swap arc assemblies with the Pro. Well, obviously I am still in need of an arc assembly... again.:( If I ever get another pair of headphones (not counting some cheap orthos), it will probably end up being the ESP950.

Well, it looks like I'm be trading with Blutarsky tomorrow for Naamanf's old O2 Mk1, and spending more time trying to decide between the Mk1 and my Mk2 again.

I likely will sell one of the O2 eventually, but I'd like to hang onto both until I can listen to them via SRD-7 Pro out of my Eddie Current ZDT speaker-out first. I just don't know if I want to hang onto both until it arrives in June - the 6 week delivery date is pushed back a month.