Audeze LCD-2

swt61

For me the treble wasn't toooo much of an issue, other than when playing Bluegrass and such. However, what bugged me more about them was the lack of soundstage and layering of instruments. The headphone felt quite claustrophobic and not that great recreating a sense of space in live performances. The tonality was pretty spot on though...which is what counts the most in my opinion.

Yup agree with you here. They take a brute force way of presenting the sound, it doesn't make much difference for studio rock and stuff which is what I enjoy them for. Especially highly compressed indie music. I still think the imaging is quite decent with just 4 or 5 instruments like in jazz. But they still fall quite short of the Omega 2 overall.

Yup agree with you here. They take a brute force way of presenting the sound, it doesn't make much difference for studio rock and stuff which is what I enjoy them for. Especially highly compressed indie music. I still think the imaging is quite decent with just 4 or 5 instruments like in jazz. But they still fall quite short of the Omega 2 overall.

You hit the nail on the head. These are really good headphones for rock music and metal. For more "well recorded and engineered" stuff I reach for AMT and O2. Still I find myself listening to speakers 80%-90% of the time there days.

Edited by faust3d

• 2 weeks later...

I caved in and got the new revision because it sounded like it addressed my problems with the original, a bit too dark and bassy. I will say that these are still very bassy, but what I was looking for as a compliment to all the super-detailed phones I have. I do think these are a step up from the first revision, but I only had a short time with them in a store on unfamiliar equipment. Really nice tone.

p7140319.jpg

p7140316.jpg

I caved in and got the new revision because it sounded like it addressed my problems with the original, a bit too dark and bassy. I will say that these are still very bassy, but what I was looking for as a compliment to all the super-detailed phones I have. I do think these are a step up from the first revision, but I only had a short time with them in a store on unfamiliar equipment. Really nice tone.

I was also viewing the LCD-2 as a complement to other headphones. Their tone is somewhat different and appealing. However, the first revision had a tendency to gloss over the fine details of the sound, which killed them for me for classical and other acoustic music. I'm curious if rev. 2 improves this in any significant way...

I'm still not sold yet on the Rev2 since impressions are all over the place. I'm still waiting for someone else in my local community to bite into the hype so we all can drop by his place and take a listen ourselves.

And I thought the LCD2 is fine for acoustics, it's superb even. I think this is the closest headphone you can get to the O2 MK1 in terms of tonality.

...However, the first revision had a tendency to gloss over the fine details of the sound, which killed them for me for classical and other acoustic music...

For me, that hits the nail on the head.

Andy, I'd be curious on your impressions of the rev2 compared to rev1 and what tube compliment you're running for it on the BA. Anyways I'll probably get a chance to find out since both EC and Audeze will be at the Anaheim meet coming up.

Edited by purrin

Andy, I'd be curious on your impressions of the rev2 compared to rev1 and what tube compliment you're running for it on the BA. Anyways I'll probably get a chance to find out since both EC and Audeze will be at the Anaheim meet coming up.

I only heard the rev1 for a short time in a store, so I don't have a lot of time with them. It was enough of a listen to turn me away from buying them. I had the HD800 and R10 along with me to compare. There was just too much of a bass bloat and the soundstage was quite restricted. It may have been the Musical Fidelity DAC/AMP, who knows. When I read about the changes, then I got interested again.

After listening a few hours yesterday, I can say I like these better than the original. They have the best bass I have ever heard on a headphone. It goes super deep and is pretty tight. Will these supplant my other phones, never, but they are a great complement, exactly what I wanted. I mostly listen to Classical, so the HD800 and R10 will be the usual go to phones, but the LCD-2 is no slouch with Classical. It is just warmer and has a smaller soundstage, but is still quite pleasant tonally.

And I haven't even changed tubes in the BA from the EML 300B and a Brimar 6SN7 I have been using. The LCD-2 may really shine with the PX4s which have a tighter/cleaner presentation than the 300B. I am also going to build a balanced cable to see if that changes anything.

Are you not a fan of the Cavalli amps? Or just the "best amp ever" talk?

The latter. And the fact that it is hyped up by the same people/"prototype team" over and over in that thread (and the amp hasn't even been released? not sure how that is even allowed with a commercial product). And I've only read maybe 10 or so pages before I gave up :)