Audeze LCD-2

swt61

I would describe it with all manner of flowery analogies but I don't think that would do anyone any good. You're a lucky bastard if you don't hear it because it's a great headphone, one of the only headphones that have accurate FR imo. Most people don't hear it, including some good ears so it also doesn't mean you're deaf... ;)

Oh ok heh :palm:

Playing the vinyl from this Mosaic box now, enjoyin' deez phones (LP#5 Lonely Fire/Guinnevere) :D

I like my pair a lot. Don't hear any reverberation and I am not trying to. These are now my go-to rock and metal headphones. YH-100 still get used but less and less now. :(

Edited by faust3d

Is it speaker cloth or felt? I believe it's felt, which you can add or subtract to tune the sound. I wanted to mess with the damping, but I decided they are too expensive. I actually think longer cups to channel the backwave would do the LCD-2 a lot of good and fix the "resonance" I hear. Even just cupping my hands behind the cups like a half grado cup (perpendicular to the big black vents) seemed to help and helped with soundstage and imaging as well. But Don could also be right about the magnet structure being to blame.

It is indeed felt. I'm going to keep it this way for the next few days to familiarize myself with the new config but the current impression that I'm getting is that you seem to trade off a bit of the bass punch for a bit of airiness. Shame I can't have both. :(

And as for the reverb, it seems to be amp-dependent but I'm not really sure honestly. For example the LCD2 sounds downright horrible with the Zana Deux with echoes everywhere but it sounds magnificent with the Beta22. Generally I feel that the LCD2 loves a solid-state system more but I have to also profess that I haven't heard it with tube amps that are specifically designed for low-impedance, hi-current loads.

Edited by K3cT

Generally I feel that the LCD2 loves a solid-state system more...

I came away feeling the same from my trials at CJ10. Though not in leaps and bounds. That most likely has a lot to do with my preference for more neutral amps however. There are certainly some exceptions to the rule IMO, as Al's Pete Millet tube masterpiece sounds fantastic with every headphone thrown at it.

This adds another possible explanation. The woody resonance (that I have not yet heard) might be caused by reflections in the outer chamber created by the driver on one end, the surrounding ear pads on the sides, and the users head on the other end (the head being the variable item).

Edited by DefectiveAudioComponent