Audeze LCD-2

swt61

Not sure if there are any other adjustments, but when Audeze introduced the new pads they claimed no effect on sound. Wonder if it's a seal issue (pad size and even swivel rotation angles - depending on screw tightness - can get in the way)?

Has anyone been able to stretch the headband out so that it doesn't clamp your head like a vise, without breaking anything on the headband? It always just springs back to it's original shape for me. Since I got the DACmini I've really been enjoying the sound, but after 9 months I still get a headache wearing them.

FWIW, I just got a new pair of LCD2s and they fucking rock. The highs are significantly clearer. No idea why exactly, but the pads are different.

1000x500px-LL-326263cc_Audeze_LCD2_photo_padsside.jpg

1000x500px-LL-7a6a1f13_Audeze_LCD2_photo_pads.jpg

Damnit Tyll!! Making me interested in these again :mad:

I'd love to see the new measurements with the updated pads

If the highs are clearer on the newer models, I can't wait to hear a pair. The highs were the one thing that I really didn't enjoy on the LCD-2s during the last meet I heard them at, and they made me wish I were just listening to Stax instead.

Edited by revolink24

You semantic psychos.

Tyll, that's pretty interesting. Not sure how often it's been discussed (HPA I missed your impressions), but rhythmdevils deserves credit for bringing it to my attention... and ruining my pleasure. :P

Once it's clearly heard it's kinda hard to get it out of ones minds eyes ears.

First post on head-case! :lol:

Sorry for ruining them for you Ric! But it is really great to see those measurements and hear Tyll's analysis and Don's thoughts. I honestly heard this resonance a few minutes after listening to them for the first time, and spent the next 5 months putting them on every week or so hoping it would be gone, and taking them off rather quickly in disappointment. I'm not sure I ever wanted to love a pair of headphones more than the LCD-2 and I'm not sure I ever had higher expectations. But this "reverb" effect ruins them for me and it's pretty sad because otherwise (well the weight is killer as well) they are maybe the best headphone i've ever heard.

I have so far avoided posting about it because I really want Audeze to succeed. But it looks like they are/will and this is the smaller site...

Nah. I think it's much better to not hear it in this case. Is that tear on your avatar for the LCD-2? :(

Whitney, I think I've found a better fit elsewhere, but still unsure what the tear is for...

And as Dusty said welcome.

Edited by blessingx

• 2 weeks later...

Have any of you guys ever tried doing this with your LCD2s? The cloth beneath the grill can be removed easily as it's not glued there. Overall I seem to be getting an airier sound. :blink:

DSC00655_resize.jpg

Edited by K3cT

Is it speaker cloth or felt? I believe it's felt, which you can add or subtract to tune the sound. I wanted to mess with the damping, but I decided they are too expensive. I actually think longer cups to channel the backwave would do the LCD-2 a lot of good and fix the "resonance" I hear. Even just cupping my hands behind the cups like a half grado cup (perpendicular to the big black vents) seemed to help and helped with soundstage and imaging as well. But Don could also be right about the magnet structure being to blame.

Hey Whitney, what took so long for you to come over to HC? ;) Good to have you here.

Thanks! I was trying to ween myself off forums like this so I was trying to avoid signing up here. But it was inevitable. :)

I've been trying to recreate the resonance since I got my pair last week and haven't been able to detect it. I tried playing solo unamplified instruments as well as plenty of jazz to allow me to really focus and I just can't hear it.

I can't either.

So much for the power of suggestion. <_<