What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Moar and moar 2008 Blackbird Arise. One of the many interesting features of this Winery and this particular wine that I find so neat is that the label is painted onto the bottle and the wine is blended so that at different times you taste the Merlot (42%), the Cabernet Sauvignon (38%)and Cabernet Franc (20%). Perhaps it's youth lends the flavor and bouquet in this manner.

Ballast Point Sculpin. I've been in love with this IPA since I tried it at Toronado earlier this year. Just has this rare peach sweetness to it while still maintaining that nice hop bitterness that is not overwhelming at all. Right up there with my other favorite IPAs - Pliny and Dreadnaught.

IMG_1429.jpg

Cocktails at Heaven's Dog with Shelly and hubby and Ric before going to the Giants game. Here's what I recall people having:

Gin Daisy

Planters Punch

Rye Buck

Saratoga

Monte Carlo

Some kind of Pegu Club variation (gingery and too sweet)

Now at the game, a couple of Lagunitas IPAs and Blue Moons.

last weekend had:

Terrapin Moo-Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout courtesy of Raffy (cheers)...loved it...should be served with rectangular slices of pizza at school lunches...

Gumball Head on tap:)...it's possible to get a growler fill of it here for $10(!)...

Brugge Harvey...which is the same as their well-known Pooka (sour) except with blackberry's in the place of boysenberries...sweeter than I remember...

Sun King Firefly Wheat...very refreshing, solid...a worthy Browncoat drink:)...

then the skies opened up...big storm...friend & I decided to leave the bar & go to a party...party ended up being a group of militant lesbians playing Texas Hold 'Em & us...no kidding...so we had a few of their lovingly prepared jell-o shots & hunkered down with the beer we brought...

50095fa2.jpg

Mikkeller Beer Hop Breakfast...which started out really good, but the body got pulled out from under it & became a hop mess...

1490c7a1.jpg

The Bruery Provisions Salt of the Earth...this is a gose or salt beer...uses truffle salt & coriander...you either like it or you don't...I didn't so much, but I have a couple friends who had it on tap out in Cali that thought it was good...Upright makes a gose I may give a try...

Duck-Rabbit Porter from Duck-Rabbit Brewery...we don't get this here...shame...'s the first thing I'd had from them...will seek out others...

mikkeller-rauch-geek-breakfast.png

Mikkeller Rauch Geek Breakfast (Beer Geek Bacon)...I've had this before & still like it best of the b'fasts...it's a great example of a smoked beer...

112600305-OUDE-KRIEK-VIEILLE-beer.jpg

Oud Beersel Oud Kriek Vielle...here's one my buddy just pulled out of a closet...very surprised to see it...I don't generally go for krieks, but this was one of the highlights of the evening...

jaialaiwhiteoak.png

CCB White Oak Jai Alai...courtesy of Raffy again (cheers)...this is the kinda quirky beer I would go out of my way for & drink on special all day...I'm going to have to order a couple 4-packs online...

^^so that was Saturday...then we ended up at a bar downing Manhattans & playing Golden Tee...rest is kind of a blur...I woke up missing a contact...good times...

then during the week...let's see...I've been working through a case of FFF Evil Power...& I finished the Sam Adams Latitude 48 Deconstruction Pack...I'd say regular > Ahtanum > Simcoe...but the Zeus, Hallertau Mittelfrueh & East Kent Holdings need to be revisited for me to decide:)...

had a New Holland Night Tripper...not a big fan of the brewery...but they were on sale for $4.99/bomber...the Night Tripper had a displeasing fruit chew aftertaste...also got a new Farmhouse Hatter which was worth trying, but still not their best effort...threw down a BrewDog Rip Tide which was better than I remembered...

Edited by emelius

Getting ready to watch the Belmont Stakes later today, so thought I should have a little race of my own.

CCB Humidor Series IPA vs Ballast Point Sculpin IPA. Humidor is the early favorite, but it's not over till it's over ... :D

Interesting Gene....Sculpin's still one of my all time faves. The cedar taste in Humidor is very strong - I think I prefer other woods to age IPAs in.

Raffy ... Yes, the cedar is strong in Humidor, but I like.

Just had a wee dram of each, and the Sculpin has the most and best taste ever from a light bodied beer, but, for me, Hunidor wins. The woodiness makes me feel like I am in Arturo,s cigar bar in Ybor.

55faee61.jpg

Thr3e Wise Men (an offshoot of the Scotty's Brewhouse chain)'s blend of their regular & double IPAs...coming from a FFF growler my best friend had filled before we took off for Muncie...here now & are about to go to The Heorot...quite excited:)...