What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

I have a friend that is coming to stay with me for a week. She likes kinda girlie drinks (no whiskey or gin - only vodka or rum based). I need recommendations for Vodkas since I basically no nothing about them. I am sure that Marc and Jim can name a few. Are potato vodkas supposed to be the best? Also, if any one knows any good recommendations for vodka drinks, that would be much appreciated!

Hey Shelly, I used to drink vodka pretty often for awhile there and I usually bought Ketel One, Chopin or some obscure potato vodka. Right now, I would either buy Chopin (potato) or get a Charbay flavored vodka like the Meyer lemon, pomegranate, red grapefruit or blood orange. They are flavored with real fruit, as they explain here: http://www.charbay.com/VODKAS.aspx

I actually think that she would love many of your gin cocktails and may even learn that she doesn't have to limit herself...just sayin'.

As for vodka cocktails, the vodka tonic is obvious, but tasty, but here are some real cocktails to consider:

Triomphe Cocktail

1 1/2 oz Vodka

3/4 oz Lemon Juice

1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse

1/2 oz 1-1 Simple Syrup

Shake well with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon peel.

Yokohama Cocktail

1 Dash Absinthe

1/6 Grenadine

1/6 Vodka. (1/2 oz Awamori)

1/3 Orange Juice

1/3 Dry Gin

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass. [she'll never know she's drinking gin unless you tell her! You could also just double the vodka]

Madras Cocktail

1 1/2 oz vodka

3 oz cranberry juice

1 oz orange juice

1 lime wedge

Pour all ingredients (except lime wedge) into a highball glass over ice. Add the lime wedge and serve.

Cape Codder

• 2 ounces vodka
  • 2 or 3 ounces cranberry juice cocktail
  • 1/2 ounce lime juice
  • club soda

Glass Type: Collins glass
    Instructions

Pour vodka (or white rum) into a Collins glass, add cranberry juice cocktail, the juice of half a lime (some leave this out,) and a couple of ice cubes. Top off with club soda or seltzer (some leave this out, too, doubling the cranberry; we don't). Garnish, if you wish, with a slice of lime and/or a sprig of mint.

Madras Cocktail
    Mix 2 ounces vodka and 2 ounces OJ in a Collins glass, slip in a couple of ice cubes, and float 2 ounces of cranberry juice; serve with a stirrer and, if you wish, a wedge of lime (people like something to play with).

Moscow Mule
    • 1/2 ounce lime juice
    • 2 ounces vodka
    • 4 to 6 ounces ginger beer

[*]2 ounces vodka

[*]1 teaspoon Cointreau

[*]1 teaspoon apricot liqueur

[*]1 ounce lime juice

[*]2 dashes bitters

Suggestions for rum drinks:

Grog - 2 parts rum, 1 part simple syrup, 1 part key lime juice, cinnamon, water, ice

Rum Swizzle - same as above, but with 3 dashes peychauds, 1 agnostura instead of the cinnamon

replace water with shaved ice for rum slushie

I have a friend that is coming to stay with me for a week. She likes kinda girlie drinks (no whiskey or gin - only vodka or rum based). I need recommendations for Vodkas since I basically no nothing about them. I am sure that Marc and Jim can name a few. Are potato vodkas supposed to be the best? Also, if any one knows any good recommendations for vodka drinks, that would be much appreciated!

Looks like Al has the drink suggestions for Vodka covered. My goto potato vodka is Luksusowa. It is as good as any other potato vodka I have tasted and it is actually pretty inexpensive. I like the taste of potato vodka better, especially straight and chilled or in a Vodkatini.

I also like to make green peppercorn flavored vodka. I take about 30 green peppercorns and place them into a large mason jar. Put in a bottle of vodka (I generally use Russian Standard) and let sit for 12-24 hours, the longer it stands the more peppery it tastes. Then pour the vodka back into it's bottle, cap it back up and place into the freezer. Excellent for sipping on hot days and makes an excellent Bloody Mary.

4275234134_77cb264c1d.jpg

Sub in a Minkoff and a Lion Heart for those jerry cans, sharpen your shovel, and we're ready for Capetown on Acid!

I think the jerry cans are that color for a reason. How much red would you need to add for the (un)desired effect.

"... may lead a person to misinterpret their actual level of intoxication"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodka_Red_Bull

or maybe something Swiss?

346-Vodkalikoer_RedBull700_b.jpg

Stella Artois for lack of better options. On the plus side, I am sitting on a patio at my hotel for the weekend and my brother who lives in LA is coming over for a beer or two. My oldest nephew is getting married at my brother's house in Woodside, which should be an interesting test run for my oldest niece/goddaughter who is getting married in Mayberry next summer.