What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

That is one hell of a special sour beer, though, Mikey. Anybody should be able to appreciate that one. :police:

As for me, a Manhattan in honor of our friend Claire in Paris who was diagnosed with some kind of intestinal cancer and had a very sudden surgery last week. My Claire and I are really taking this hard after just hearing about it today. Claire and her family have been wonderful friends for a long time. She met us in Berlin this summer and her daughter was just here in SF until Saturday (and at our house for dinner the other night) while this was going down. They didn't want to tell her until she got home, but that was very hard.

In any event, here's to Claire and a speedy defeat of this evil cancer!

web.jpg?ver=13153685570001

BenRiach 1966 Rare Reserve.

Screenshot2011-09-07at73448PM.png

This one has kind of a cool story, bro. Shared by one of the owners of the distillery, a South African guy with whom I play golf. Made his very, very considerable coin by -- among other things -- selling single-serving sachets (think McDonalds ketchup packets) of cheap booze up into more equatorial Africa. Biggest mover is kind of a Baileys-type goop of industrial moonshine whisky and ultra pasteurized dairy. Yum yum.

Anyway, the Scotch Whisky Association comes to them one day in the early oughts and says something along the lines of: "It has come to our notice that you are now among the major purveyors of alleged "Scotch" on this benighted subcontinent. It might behoove you, should you not wish to encounter all sorts of trademark etc. issues, to legitimize yourselves among your peers by picking up a genuine operation -- and by the way, we just happen to have one in mothballs we can sell you. Bit of a mess, but think of the potential. You chaps already seem quite handy at marketing to the heathen, eh? Asia! Growth!"

So they buy the place pretty much sight unseen for around $10 million and install some competent management, who then go through the premises and records carefully and find out that they actually own several thousand more casks of real good stuff than were ever accounted for. Total estimated value of said casks -- around $10 million. Free distillery! Good times.

Why doesn't shit like that happen to me? I'd like a free distillery and all, but just think of the fun sampling thousands of casks of fine whisky?! I hope you are trying to parlay all these swank contacts of yours somehow, Stretch. Like a paid goodwill mission to Scotland for your friends in the American Samplers of Scotch Whisky In Phonus Extremus Society. The ASSWIPES need you to get on the stick.