What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

The last couple days I've been mellowing out with some good Stockfisch Records music.  Two of my favorites, both have good music and good recordings (and both lucky to have on DSD).

Sara K - Made In The Shade and Steve Strauss - Just Like Love.  Good mellower folk-type music....

skmits.jpg

ssjll.jpg

• Like 3

^^ listened and liked - thx.

Discipline

Discipline
by King Crimson (1981)

https://album.link/i/1090440045

Example:

A formative album in my late teen years. I didn't find this album until after Yes,  So probably about 1986. It has been a while since I listened to it, I tend to gravitate towards "In The Court Of The Crimson King" wth it being more proggy. But I knew every track in this listen through to a high level of detail and of course enjoyment. I will not let it slip too far away... 

• Like 4

On 4/2/2024 at 10:55 PM, mikeymad said:

^^ listened and liked - thx.

Discipline

Discipline
by King Crimson (1981)

https://album.link/i/1090440045

Example:

A formative album in my late teen years. I didn't find this album until after Yes,  So probably about 1986. It has been a while since I listened to it, I tend to gravitate towards "In The Court Of The Crimson King" wth it being more proggy. But I knew every track in this listen through to a high level of detail and of course enjoyment. I will not let it slip too far away... 

One of their few perfect albums.  They usually do some scat based improv that I don't "get", but on Discipline, the weirdest they get is "Indiscipline", which is timeless.

And side two, ohmigosh...just crazy good. 

Did you know Beat (Belew, Vai, Levin, and Danny Carey of Tool playing the music of King Crimson) are touring?  I might have to go to that.

• Like 1

Led Zeppelin III (HD Remastered Edition)

Led Zeppelin III 
by Led Zeppelin (1970)

https://album.link/i/580708279

Example:

Classic for a reason - not revolutionary, but a nice progression of music and style from II to IV. And yes I have the old gatefold record with the spinny thing for the cover art. 😵‍💫  I do listen to Zep a lot during the course of the year, but it has been a while since I sat down and really listened to an album. Maybe like 6 months or something crazy like that.

• Like 6

I find familiar music easier to listen to, because I remember what it was supposed to sound like.  This is very antithetical to what I want to listen to, so ... cognitive dissonance.

Just sayin'.

Me, now:  Yuja Wang -- she apparently did a 2.5 hour Rachmaninoff recital of all four concertos and the one Paganini Rhapsody.  2.5 hours of win.

...while wearing 4 different outfits.

giphy.gif

...and a heartbeat monitor

I think it would be dangerous if I was one of those audience members

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Paper Hearts

Paper Hearts
by Sleep Theory (2023)

https://album.link/i/1696307201

Example:

Checking out the hype. This is only an EP that they have done so far. A modern Linkin Park and Evanescence and other bands? Very produced. No idea what they will sound like live. It is catchy - but that is because we have probably heard it before. I have not read lyrics to see if there is depth. But still interested. 

• Thanks 1