Voltron

What are you listening to Part the Third

7,157 posts in this topic

The Joshua Redman/Brad Meldau concert I attended a long time ago was a pretty transformative experience

The part leading up to those chords sounds very Ravel-like, and I believe the harmonization is something like a F# half diminished seventh with a dissonant escape tone that resolves down, then cadences to a first inversion minor C# triad in which the E becomes the third? Try it out

2 people like this

Thanks!

And now for something completely different:

1 person likes this

Do you (or anyone else) have recommendations for doom/stoner metal similar to Electric Wizard and pre-reformed Sleep? 

I listen to a lot of Stoner:  try 1000mods, Truckfighters, some Black Space Riders (they're the least stoner of the bunch, the earlier albums are the most stoner, and the most recent is probably the least, but I really like where they're going, so like their most recent stuff the best), High on Fire, Monster Magnet, and some of this:

Kyuss is of course the godfathers of Stoner.  Desert Sessions (with a rolling cast of musicians) is also pretty great for classic Stoner.

1 person likes this

Mothership -- High Strangeness

FullSizeRender(10).jpg

2 people like this

from-sleep.jpg

(The hour version -- I'm getting the 8 hour version, based on the strength of this.)

Ambient classical/slightly experimental/minimalism
Definitely work music