What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Hilary Hahn - Bach Concertos. After listening to Julia Fischer's equivalently-titled CD for so long this is something definitely different, not sure yet if that's a good or bad thing. The thing I've noticed the most so far is that Hahn has a very wide & loose bowing movement on the violin and she seems to really like spontaneously slowing & accelerating the tempo (and injecting extra notes for flair too). Fischer, on the other hand, is a lot more calculating and precise, which IMO suits Bach more. Fischer's CD also might have better recording quality, don't know for sure yet though.

The Adagio from the Concerto in E major (BWV 1042) doesn't hold a candle to Fischer's performance though, man the Fischer one just blows me away every time!

r2vtih.jpg

Edited by Asr

Hilary Hahn - Bach Concertos. After listening to Julia Fischer's equivalently-titled CD for so long this is something definitely different, not sure yet if that's a good or bad thing. The thing I've noticed the most so far is that Hahn has a very wide & loose bowing movement on the violin and she seems to really like spontaneously slowing & accelerating the tempo (and injecting extra notes for flair too). Fischer, on the other hand, is a lot more calculating and precise, which IMO suits Bach more. Fischer's CD also might have better recording quality, don't know for sure yet though.

The Adagio from the Concerto in E major (BWV 1042) doesn't hold a candle to Fischer's performance though, man the Fischer one just blows me away every time!

I've heard Hilary's but haven't heard Fischer's recording and it's been awhile since I've heard Hilary's. Will check out asap. Are you sure she's injecting extra notes? That actually is a very baroque thing to do, back then the sheet music you were given was mostly the outline of the harmonic content, with the performer making up the notes in between. JS Bach was pretty much the first person to lay out all the notes iirc. Have you heard Rachel Podger's solo Bach or Bach concertos? She tries to get as close to the original as possible, does the whole play on a baroque violin/bow with lower baroque-ish tuning thing.

I've heard Hilary's but haven't heard Fischer's recording and it's been awhile since I've heard Hilary's. Will check out asap. Are you sure she's injecting extra notes? That actually is a very baroque thing to do, back then the sheet music you were given was mostly the outline of the harmonic content, with the performer making up the notes in between. JS Bach was pretty much the first person to lay out all the notes iirc. Have you heard Rachel Podger's solo Bach or Bach concertos? She tries to get as close to the original as possible, does the whole play on a baroque violin/bow with lower baroque-ish tuning thing.

Since you're a violinist, I'll be more specific - Hahn sounds like she's adding short trills in spots that I haven't heard on Fischer's recording (and seems to like trilling too, because there are a lot), and adding "interval" notes when doing things like crossing strings or playing 3 quick notes in the time span of 2 notes. So just minor flourishes, which I guess is typical for professional musicians. ;)

To expand on the stylistic differences between Hahn & Fischer, and now that I'm re-listening with the OII/BHSE, it's easier to hear a very legato (but quick) type of bowing style from Hahn, and clearly she likes using up entire up & down bow movements from tip to frog. Fischer has shorter bow movements which helps her achieve a faster tempo - Fischer definitely plays faster than Hahn on the faster pieces. Hahn also seems to prefer keeping her bow on the string whenever possible and doesn't lift it very much, while Fischer definitely takes her bow off the string more. Hahn adds a lot of vibrato too, a lot more than Fischer (who seems averse to it). Overall, seems like Hahn is slightly more laidback/relaxed and Fischer more intense/insistent. Hahn's violin also sounds weird, almost like it's cold and isn't at room temperature.

Haven't heard of Rachel Podger (let alone any of her recordings), will probably check her out eventually.

Edited by Asr

I agree with the Podgers Rec. I read or heard somewhere that Hahn is controversial for her coloring.

Bach wrote out every note including trills. So, adding ornamentation to one of the greatest composer's pieces might come off as arrogant to some.

I'm going to to have to check out Fischer.

Edited by robm321

Again it was very typical to add ornaments in Bach's day. If you listen to the solo Sonatas and Partitas, there are tons of stylistic differences and different ornaments people add onto what Bach wrote, a prime example being the Chaconne. Vibrato back in the baroque era was seen as yet another ornament, instead of something that you must do basically throughout, so it was used a lot more sparingly. Hilary Hahn's interpretation is definitely pretty romantic. The first movement of the double concerto is mind-blowingly fast and not in a good way. I don't think she realizes Vivace just meant vivacious or lively, this was before tempo names were given specific BPM ranges. Btw I don't think any off the string techniques had been invented by the baroque era either, unless you just mean a detache where the quick changes of bows lifted the bow off the string a bit. Will listen tonight.

Bach wrote out every note including trills. So, adding ornamentation to one of the greatest composer's pieces might come off as arrogant to some.

WAT?

Edit: ah Justin commented. Anyways, that's just wrong.

That's why many violinists use the so called Blue version, as it contains the manuscripts for the S&P which are a handy reference. As Justin mentioned, there are a multitude of liberties taken here, including bowing, tempo, dynamics and appogetera.

Edited by luvdunhill