What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

I'm listening to 24/96 needledrops of the earliest 12" singles by the Belgian dance act The Mackenzie. They turned to complete SHIT after 1995 and began producing vocal club trance (with one notable exception) that makes me want to drown kittens. Prior to that, they made some absolutely amazing, timeless dance music. While ca. 1989 rave music was hardly a high fidelity enterprise, these hibit vinyl rips sound amazingly good out of my Quad/Quad combo. The 12"s I'm listening to are:

OovGQ.jpg

Party People (1989)

The first track by The Mackenzie I ever heard and still my favorite. This track has as much significance as Joey Beltram's "Energy Flash" (which came out a year later) even if it's not as well known.

sQq7L.jpg

Freak out (1990)

It has an odd spoken dialog that runs through the whole track. At first it annoyed me, but now I love it. There's a point where the speaker says "Give me the Sequential!" (Circuits analogue synth) and this massive resonant arpeggiation comes in that's just amazing.

pMyob.jpg

Chicago Trip (1990)

Probably their most famous (oldskool) track, a tribute to the city that gave birth to house music.

The notable exception I mentioned above is Ghost, which sadly I am lacking at the moment.