April 10, 201511 yr comment_680673 Ha. Exactly the same here. Think I made it two songs before being pulled away. Report
April 10, 201511 yr comment_680727 Now I'm getting to listen....have to say only mildly impressed. I think she's a great talent and records well, but the EMOTION of the music is a little.....sterile.....to me. Maybe it's just because Billie Holiday did things SO well..... Certainly interesting, some good alternative adaptations.....but not sure I'd pull this out too often.....maybe I will need to listen more, we'll see. EDIT: as I listen more, I like it a bit more. Though still not as a comparison to the originals, but as a standalone piece of music. I read that the band has some of Nick Cave's Bad Seeds in it, it definitely shows. EDITED EDIT: Now listening to Riva Nyri Precil - Perle de Culture. A nice eclectic blend with strong Haitian and African influences. Love the voice, and music is fun and interesting! Edited April 10, 201511 yr by skullguise Report
April 10, 201511 yr comment_680767 Next up: Kovacs - Shades Of Black. Initial listen, first I thought of was a cross between Amy Winehouse and Shirley Bassey! Report
April 10, 201511 yr comment_680787 ... a cross between Amy Winehouse and Shirley Bassey! (wanders off to sample) Report
April 10, 201511 yr comment_680788 Yeah, the voice just made me think of Shirley singing Goldfinger! Last one for the day, Dusty you might like as well....Dyonisos - S/T Report
April 10, 201511 yr comment_680789 Not on Tidal, where are you finding these? Or do you own them? I'll check Spotify later -- working from home, but still in my work day, so trying to be disciplined and keep distractions to a minimum. Report
April 10, 201511 yr comment_680791 Own them.....I'll PM you offline, have a bunch of stuff you may like. Old Prog, Ambient, "Berlin School," etc. Report
April 12, 201511 yr comment_680923 White Zombie's Astro Creep 2000 came out 20 years ago today, so I'm giving it a listen with my HRMH. Everything Rob Zombie does is hit or miss, but the good moments of this album are about the best stuff he ever did. Report
April 12, 201511 yr comment_680957 Ibeyi - Ibeyi They're twins sisters, read about them on some newspaper, and found the album at Tidal. Kind of like it Report
April 12, 201511 yr comment_680970 ^^^ I just saw this a couple days ago and it intrigued me, will look into it more. Thanks! EDIT: found some notes about them, very interesting! Ibeyi is the self-titled debut album from Cuban-born, French-raised twins Lisa-Kainde and Naomi Diaz. The daughters of Cuban percussionist Miguel "Angá" Diaz (who was a performing member of the Buena Vista Social Club) and Venezuelan mother Maya began making music upon their father's passing in 2006. After XL label boss Richard Russell caught their video for "Mama Says," he tracked them down in Paris' Montparnasse neighborhood and signed them. The recording is the first to come from the label's brand new London studio. Ibeyi's sound is deliberately sparse, as reliant on Santerian religious chants as it is on 21st century Euro soul. Lisa-Kainde sings lead and plays piano; Naomi sings harmony and plays West African drums -- cajón and batá -- both elemental parts of the Afro-Cuban musical lineage. Edited April 12, 201511 yr by skullguise Report
April 12, 201511 yr comment_680983 Yeah my friend posted their Vid to FB a while ago.. I liked it as well - but I found the vid pretty disturbing (distracting from the music)... Report
April 12, 201511 yr comment_681007 Looks interesting, will check it out later. Right now am listening to the new GY(![?])BE. Report
April 13, 201511 yr comment_681083 Started the day with a bunch of early Elton John, now onto some random discoveries... Laura Mvula - Laura Mvula with Metropole Orkest conducted by Jules Buckley at Abbey Road Studios Report
April 13, 201511 yr comment_681103 This one's freakin' good. Buddy Guy & Junior Wells - Last Time Around - Live at Legends Report
April 14, 201511 yr comment_681234 White Zombie's Astro Creep 2000 came out 20 years ago today, so I'm giving it a listen with my HRMH. Everything Rob Zombie does is hit or miss, but the good moments of this album are about the best stuff he ever did. this on youtube i grew up on this Edited April 14, 201511 yr by aardvark baguette Report
April 14, 201511 yr comment_681252 You should check out that Torche, too -- I like it almost as much as Pallbearer. Report
April 15, 201511 yr comment_681408 ^ Yeah she's one of those artists after not listening to for awhile, you can listen to nothing but for awhile. Report
April 15, 201511 yr comment_681444 Today is an Archive kind of band (alternative -- everything from hip-hop to trip-hop to poprock). Starting with the Controlling Crowds sequence. Report
April 15, 201511 yr comment_681455 Brian Wilson -- No Pier Pressure Proper sign-off. Edited April 15, 201511 yr by Hopstretch Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.