What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Now I'm getting to listen....have to say only mildly impressed.  I think she's a great talent and records well, but the EMOTION of the music is a little.....sterile.....to me.  Maybe it's just because Billie Holiday did things SO well.....

Certainly interesting, some good alternative adaptations.....but not sure I'd pull this out too often.....maybe I will need to listen more, we'll see.

EDIT: as I listen more, I like it a bit more.  Though still not as a comparison to the originals, but as a standalone piece of music.  I read that the band has some of Nick Cave's Bad Seeds in it, it definitely shows.

EDITED EDIT:

Now listening to Riva Nyri Precil - Perle de Culture.  A nice eclectic blend with strong Haitian and African influences.  Love the voice, and music is fun and interesting!

post-1526-0-51423100-1428675114.jpg

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 1

^^^ I just saw this a couple days ago and it intrigued me, will look into it more.  Thanks!

EDIT: found some notes about them, very interesting!

Ibeyi is the self-titled debut album from Cuban-born, French-raised twins Lisa-Kainde and Naomi Diaz. The daughters of Cuban percussionist Miguel "Angá" Diaz (who was a performing member of the Buena Vista Social Club) and Venezuelan mother Maya began making music upon their father's passing in 2006. After XL label boss Richard Russell caught their video for "Mama Says," he tracked them down in Paris' Montparnasse neighborhood and signed them.

The recording is the first to come from the label's brand new London studio. Ibeyi's sound is deliberately sparse, as reliant on Santerian religious chants as it is on 21st century Euro soul. Lisa-Kainde sings lead and plays piano; Naomi sings harmony and plays West African drums -- cajón and batá -- both elemental parts of the Afro-Cuban musical lineage.

Edited by skullguise