August 12, 20215 yr comment_862042 Brian Jackson (Muhammad & Younge) Jazz is Dead 8 https://www.newyorker.com/culture/listening-booth/an-undersung-master-of-jazz-gets-his-day Report
August 13, 20215 yr comment_862097 Bonus points for that is totally West Marin unless I miss my guess? @Voltron @TMoney @Grahame @swt61 Report
August 13, 20215 yr comment_862099 It sure looks like it. And I'm pretty sure that "retired" boat said Point Reyes. Report
August 13, 20215 yr comment_862133 On 8/9/2021 at 7:03 PM, mikeymad said: I like this so much, new sounds in my ears.. Tunng Presents...DEAD CLUB Tunng 2020 Example: Thanks Mikey! I like this too. Report
August 13, 20215 yr comment_862136 One of my divas from the 80s: Sandra "The Long Play" ...me hago viejo Report
August 14, 20215 yr comment_862202 Thanks Ric. Maybe I need to study some more and start at the beginning again. I have had many recordings over the years of his symphonies. Some I have liked more than others. The other day I listen to this (didn't post): And it was just not clicking for me at all. I even thought to myself, maybe Mahler is just not for me. But based on the video, it helps me think of things in a little different light. So, I will add some back into my list and explore some more. Report
August 14, 20215 yr comment_862210 Thanks for that Ric! I hadn't seen that video before, and agree with what is said in it. Mahler has always been one of my favorites, particularly the 2nd, 3rd and 8th. My favorite 8th recording is the 1971 Solti/CSO recording, but I haven't listened to some of the more recent ones. I will say I have not been a fan in particular of MTT/SFO Mahler works as I find some of his tempi off-putting. I saw MTT conduct the 2nd in Chicago with the CSO, and found portions of it ghastly, though the mezzo-soprano Lorraine Hunt Lieberson (RIP) performed the best 4th movement (Urlicht) I've ever heard. I bought the SFO recording solely because she sang on it. Report
August 14, 20215 yr comment_862213 I used to struggle with Mahler until I bought a CD of one of Mahler's symphonies years ago. It came with a second CD that was narrated by Leonard Bernstein. It helped me understand what was going on. I was used to a certain form with classical symphonies. I had to throw that whole structure out when listening to Mahler. I've been a fan ever since. Here's a deeper dive with Bernstein that might give a better understanding as well. If nothing else, just listening to Berstein describe anything is a joy. Report
August 14, 20215 yr comment_862223 My Echo Laura Veirs 2020 Example - strong Edie Brickell vibes for me: Report
August 14, 20215 yr comment_862226 Thanks for the listen Rob. Voyager Quartet - Message of Love. Smaller heart tugs. Report
August 14, 20215 yr comment_862228 ^ Added. Optimisme Songhoy Blues 2020 Example - I don't know what the songs are about, but music is good: ..formed in 2012 after three of its members fled northern Mali following the Islamic radicalist takeover of parts of the country. Settling in Bamako, Mali's capital, the group gigged hard throughout the city... Report
August 14, 20215 yr comment_862229 50 minutes ago, mikeymad said: My Echo Laura Veirs 2020 Example - strong Edie Brickell vibes for me: She's very good, have been lucky to see her live twice: once opening for Neko Case, and again as part of Case-Lang-Veirs with aforementioned Neko and Lang as in k.d. WONDERFUL show that was! Report
August 15, 20215 yr comment_862265 Lydian Collective live with the Capital Orchestra: I don't know what to call this, "composed jazz"? It's instrumental, so 10 years ago I would have lumped it under my "new instrumentalism" moniker, which they would very much fit under. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.