New Rega DAC

The Monkey

This does look interesting, it also includes a series of filters that can be applied.

I've tended to like Rega's "strive" to sound like analog with their digital gear, so indeed this holds promiose for me. Good small form factor, too.

Oh, and they make it in silver, too :D

Edited by skullguise

Rip Off US? £498.00 (including 20% V.A.T. ?) e.g. http://www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk/viewitem.asp?MyID=&StockCode=h127re098

Looking at the back panel image from audio advisor shows it as 115V 50/60Hz , so looks like the AC->DC power supply is region specific rather than universal, which increases the number of SKU's that that they have to manage, but allows them to maintain exclusive dealerships and regional pricing differentials.

It could be worse, you could be in Australia for example. http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/01/10/internet_tax_row/

I also have not heard Rega digital, but want to. I saw all the press accolades re the last couple of Rega CDPs, which extolled their analogicity. I'm beginning to understand that type of compliment as meaning a rather soft and distant presentation. I'd like to see if that holds with this DAC.

I also need to get at least a passable TT setup so I can become more familiar with what analog sound really means.

I owned the Apollo for a while, and heard the Saturn at a dealer visit.

Dusty is absolutely right, re:PRaT and (less) detail. But it isn't as bad as one thinks; the details were often there, but just a little deeper in stage, or softer in tone. Not a top to bottom balanced sound in some aspects, but quite enjoyable for listening, and always kept me involved with the music.

Again, I'd like to see something on the filter options on this DAC. The Tone Audio review didn't get into them.....

I don't know about the rest of the Rega digital gear, but after lusting after the Saturn for many years based on its looks, I was frustrated by the glacial load times, not to mention the feeling when using it that it is really a glorified portable cd player. Maybe a Rega DAC would be just the ticket...

I'm probably the least technically inclined when interpreting this kind of stuff fluff:

The input stage comprises a Wolfson digital receiver with a high stability low jitter clock. The receiver and PLL have their own dedicated power supplies. The DAC stage comprises of a pair of parallel-connected Wolfson WM8742 DAC's, which are driven via a buffer stage, which ensures the integrity of the data being fed to the DAC IC's similar to the arrangement used in the Isis (Rega's refrerence CD player). Great care has been taken to remove noise generated by the PC and other input sources. During development this was identified as a major drawback with many DAC's on the market today.

The output amplifier employs a discrete differential multiple feedback filter and output amplifier, with a high cut-off frequency for use with higher sample rates. We decided not to use a sample rate converter and process the data at the incoming sample rate which keeps the signal processing to a minimum. Jitter was minimised by synchronously clocking the digital data with our receiver PLL (removing any jitter from the input signal).

It almost sounds to me like the same claims all other vendors use, is this some major feat to have accomplished or something?

• 4 weeks later...

Little bumpage....

Just picked one of these up from my local dealer. Floor model, new condition but had some playing time. Silver, too :)

Plugged it into a second system, comprised of a Panny DVD S47 player, the Rega, a Radii EL84 triode integrated amp, to my Silverline Preludes. Good amount of detail, while still slightly warm sounding (and it's not just the tube amp). Have swapped around the filter settings a bit, haven't got a good grip on them yet, may need to put it into my headphone system to better judge.

I like the music this is making, though; it's definitely not going back!

Hope to get some time this weekend, otherwise it's not until we come back from a trip next week.