Should I give up on the K1000?

Leonardo Drummond

Ok so I randomly opened this thread and saw that 3 headphones were mentioned that I own, have owned, & heard. ;)

Never owned the K1000 primarily because of its earspeaker design and amping requirements (have never wanted to add an integrated to my headphone system in the past) but I've heard it at meets, most recently last year on swt's setup. I think it's a great headphone sonically, about on par with the Qualia which I previously owned, at least for my intents - clarity and treble. I agree that it makes sense to properly amp the K1000 before passing judgment. Oh and I'd advise against using Chinese amps in general to judge the K1000 - use American, European, or Japanese amps. One of the other great sessions I had with the K1000 at a meet was on a Zanden 300B amp.

Huge fan of the Qualia. As much as I love the OII overall, the Qualia did a few things super awesomely. It was the clearest-sounding headphone I've ever heard in all of headphonedom (topping the OII) and had just the right amount of treble for me. I can't compare to the K1000 but it'd sure be interesting if one day such a comparison could be staged - my guess is that they might be relatively close in these 2 aspects (clarity & treble). That said, if you don't like treble you probably won't like the Qualia. The Qualia is also really fit-dependent and will probably need to be what I call "sponge-modded" on Medium or larger headbands (tie a sponge to the underside of the headband).

If you have bliss with the OII, why bother getting anything else? Stop buying more gear and just buy music. Well I'd recommend an amp/source upgrade for the OII if you really like it and want to add just a little bit more magic to it.

Edited by Asr

I'd stay far away from any Cary amp, badly designed crap and the build quality... :palm: Plenty of good 300B amps out there though, one I'd like to try is the Nagra unit.

I'd say get a better amp for the SR-007 though since you haven't heard what it really can do yet. You can also get a SR-007 Mk2/A for a slightly different take on the same sound.

What's interesting about the Cary? What about the Bottlehead Paramount 300B in comparison?

I had the chance to listen to Doc B's K1000's run off his mono-block Paramount amps at a meet a few months back. It was a seriously great sounding combination in my opinion (part of which may have been due to his fancy reel-to-reel setup). It was that setup that led to my impulsive purchase of a pair of K1000's. That and n3rdling's O2/Blue Hawaii setup where the highlights from that meet.

Hahahaha luvdunhill, it was just the first one that came to my mind!

Asr, great impressions, thank you for sharing them!! About the treble, well, it's not that I don't like it, but I'm rather sensitive to it and usually tend to prefer headphones that lean towards a darker sound signature, such as the O2 and, to these ears and to a certain extent, the JH13Pros. It's weird though, cause I think they both sound a lot clearer than both the SE530 and IE8 and yet they still relatively dark. I mean, compared to the Beyer T1, which was the brightest thing I've ever heard. However, I had a K701 and loved it, thought the extra brightness did wonders to some recordings but utterly ruined others.

You're right about the O2s though, it seems to be what I've always wanted and it's definitely the one that gets more head time. But you know, at the same time it does sound closed in and it's nice, on some recordings, to reach for the AKG and get that refreshing open and airy feel. It's not currently being that good because of the relationship crisis I've been having with it. And well, I just feel like it will be nice to have it sounding good for those moments! :D

spritzer, you don't like Cary amps? I once heard a CAI-1 and liked it, but it's clearly very punchy and agressive sounding. But I always thought their other products were good! I'm very inclined to try another amp as well, and especially interested in the KGSSHV... but I'd need someone to build one for me!

mikeymad, I thought about them, but then it's way too expensive for a secondary system... but GOD, doesn't it look fantastic!!!

Milos, are their soundstage on par with the K1000s? I've always wondered that!

Horio... meets... wish I could go to one :(

Right, an insurmountable challenge to overcome, my bad.

I left myself wide open for that one! Just pointing out that the poster stated interest in an integrated 300B amp.

I resisted the temptation to compare them, but since Birgir has broached the topic...

The Bottlehead without a doubt will sound much better and cost much less. Both because Bottleheads generally sound great and Carys tend to be overpriced and poor sounding. And unreliable, according to the chief designer at this company.

The K-1000s are my favorite headphone. I prefer them to all the top tier phones including the R10s, Qualias and HE-90s (haven't heard the LCD-2 yet). They are the closest thing to an uncolored stethoscope to the recording and system for better or worse. So, you should hear the K-1000s with a proper amp before making any hasty decisions.

Like swt61, I feel they cover all music well if they do it for you. However, if the O2s bring you to bliss instead and you're looking for something as a secondary or different flavor, why not sell the K1ks+amp and go for the R10s. Don't bother with the Qualias unless you have tough ears IMO. Bliss + R10 is not the worst way to live.

Edited by robm321

I had the chance to listen to Doc B's K1000's run off his mono-block Paramount amps at a meet a few months back

Cool! I definitely enjoyed listening to Al's DannyB 300B amp. I'm not sure if he is watching, but man I'd really like to own that amp one day... but the force is strong in the Voltron black hole of audio gear.

Hahahaha luvdunhill, it was just the first one that came to my mind!

well, shit, the power of marketing is great, huh?

I left myself wide open for that one! Just pointing out that the poster stated interest in an integrated 300B amp.

I resisted the temptation to compare them, but since Birgir has broached the topic...

The Bottlehead without a doubt will sound much better and cost much less. Both because Bottleheads generally sound great and Carys tend to be overpriced and poor sounding. And unreliable, according to the chief designer at this company.

I agree. I'd say other than the 100% DIY options (meaning, it's possible to buy a 100% assembled Paramount) I"d perhaps consider the Assemblage 300B as well:

http://www.audioxpress.com/reviews/media/GA400HA1.pdf

I once listened to the K1000 with the original audio set up from AKG during the Head-Fi meet in Berlin: in the right set up properly driven it is impressive. If you can maximize its potential it it can be more rewarding to keep the K1000.

Any details on this setup that AKG used?

Edited by luvdunhill

"KR audio under review in Hi-Fi voice...in short, we are the best"

Modest.

Well, sure, but when you are the designer and manufacturer of the T1610 triode you can say what you want. They sound exquisite, a friend told me, and are indestructible unless used in a Cary. Since we don't have transmission triodes any more, at least we have T1610s. The ability to rob a bank is a plus if you need to buy some. They would have no problem powering the K1000, or most speakers not mounted on your head as well. KR also makes probably the best 300Bs currently manufactured.

Their only real competition is here. Both companies are run by ladies in the Czech Republic.

Cool! I definitely enjoyed listening to Al's DannyB 300B amp. I'm not sure if he is watching, but man I'd really like to own that amp one day... but the force is strong in the Voltron black hole of audio gear.

DannyB 300B? Neither of my 300B amps is going anywhere, but you're always welcome to visit the black hole. :D

I was really, really drunk but I sure remember it. Just before that Pete didn't want to believe I was Icelandic which I didn't take lightly... :D

I was somewhere else when that happened and even I remember it.

Rob, don't tell me, there's a good condition R10 for sale on head-fi... oh dear! But well, I got really encouraged to keep the K1000s, guess I'll give them a second chance :)

But man, that R10 there... nasty nasty temptation. It comforts me to know that I can't buy it right now though, since I'd have to sell both the LD and the K1K, and that will take time – unlike selling a pair of R10s.

Synchro Belt Drive, is it that SAC1000 amp or something like that? It's quite rare I think, I've never seen one for sale or anything!