Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

www.Head-Case.org

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

  1. Today

  2. Patio Brunch With an onlooker
  3. A little over a decade ago I walked into Palo Alto’s Keeble & Shuchat photography store (soon after to close after 50 years) to pick up a Panasonic Lumix LX100 and walked out with a Fujifilm X-Pro 2. Even after moving on primarily to other systems, I've always wondered about that small body decision, so when Panasonic recently released their spiritual successor, the Lumix L10, I signed up for more info. Skip ahead months and Panasonic has been releasing small batches, especially for their 25th anniversary Titanium Gold Edition, as "invite only" orders. I'm a sucker, so invite order in. It's pretty sexy. When off that is. Less so when the lens is extended and it's always extended when on. That's known though and really what this camera is all about - a 24mm-75mm zoom equivalent compact camera. TL;DR: If you want that lens, in this size, this really is your only option (except for the sister Leica version, which doesn't yet exist for this new model). Nearly every amateur internet reviewer complaint (not FF, no IBIS, should have been a GM5 or opposite S9 ILC sequel, etc.) doesn't seem to understand the relationship between the lens and m34 sensor coverage. It doesn't cover the complete sensor by design. Generally comments have been positive though, as I think they generally should be. But mine is already going back, probably due to my unrealistic expectations, and just a reminder to myself, and maybe others, of a few things. When people talk about status of skin tones, auto-focus speeds, ergonomic improvements, etc., they're often talking within brand, not across brands. So when Panasonic, a video-focused company (think of the historic Olympus-Panny division or to a lesser extent the current Sony-Panny separation for small video crews) announces the L10 is a photography-centric model and it's repeated, well... kinda, I guess. I mean the specs are a clue - 20MP effective sensor for stills, 5.6K recording/5.2K Open Gate for video (which is possible with that sensor). The menus aren't designed around photography, though Lumix tries to keep the two halves separate. Lots of talk about caging it up, etc. The video thermal venting is likely why the body grew a little in size too (though I prefer its growth). So it's not Panny's normal 70% video and 30% stills thought process, but it's not the opposite either. To their credit they've brought video features to consumer photography like LUTs and greater use of waveforms. That's very welcome. My other issue, and this may not hit others, is they're selling this as a premium compact camera. That's of course subjective & relative and I'm sure compared to a Lumix S9 it is premium, but somehow the magnesium alloy body with "saffiano-leather-textured exterior" results in a pretty plasticky feeling camera (and the telescoping lens is likely always going to seem fragile). I know that's partially to keep weight down, but forget Hasselblad and Leica (though that lens is branded Leica), Fujifilm's X100 series is probably who Panasonic is gunning for and they're more premium-feeling. Same goes for any Fuji above the X100. "Premium" may or may not be "premium-feeling" for you, but I wanted to mention due to the price. So no matter what I just said this Lumix is a cool camera that uniquely fills a need you may have. Just potentially recalculate a few of the descriptors. And keep in mind the function lens switch can be set for a Leica MATE-like stepped zoom. Was fun and more my thinking to set to 28mm, 50mm and 75mm (or 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm) and never touch the zoom switch. Just shoot in familiar focal lengths. For me it's full cycle and I dusted off the X-Pro 2 to go to a harvest festival this weekend I had expected to take the L10 to. Slapped on a Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron (40mm equivalent) to keep things small, but yeah, a single focal length. Anyone need any corn?
  4. Finished Setup: 4 PSUs on GaN transistors 27.5V, bias 180mA. Sound impression: completely reference, lively and interesting, full control of my headphones HifiMan HE-6. For my ears better then DynaMight. Thanks to all who helped with configuration.
  5. Russia's Yandex bot traffic nearly eliminated overnight after Ukraine drone strikes cripple multiple of 'Russia's Google' data centers — Ukraine intensifies bombing of Yandex data centers in response to Moscow’s strikes on Kyiv data centers. Ha ha. Get fucked-ski.
  6. My kind of DJ setup.
  7. Success.
  8. Yesterday

  9. Empanadas.
  10. Not today, but yesterday, played in a work golf event and used the laser to make some fun accessories.
  11. I just ordered these, will report when they have arrived. https://poloyoaudio.store/products/hongshu-audio-eh1-earpads?variant=49091468230756
  12. An evolutionary dead end - checking out a prototype Philips DCC prototype player:
  13. Thursday -- finally got the latest Covid booster, + flu shot Friday -- was a zombie But also, got the base IFFT transformation working for my MRI enhancement project. Now, onward to tensor networks.
  14. I couldn't wait for cold weather so I made Mangchi's Buldak Chicken last night.
  15. The video of it being used was the best part.
  16. “Expert-Inspired Motion AI”
  17. Last week

  18. They suspended its financing. Too dirty? 🤨
  19. Legendary coach, Hall of Fame TE Mike Ditka dies at age 86.
  20. Cameron Winter’s Live At Carnegie Hall Ex. Now here’s a review: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/cameron-winter-live-at-carnegie-hall/ ‘I can picture The Cameron Winter Songbook sitting on a music stand in a well-appointed living room decades from now, open to “Emperor XIII in Shades.” “I don’t like what happened to Jesus, but I sure do like Saturday morning,” Winter sings, the sort of line that Warren Zevon and Randy Newman would’ve gotten into a high-noon shootout over.’
  21. What the hell happened to Kickstarter? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/90142071/pulsar-f1-ai-powered-interactive-pleasure-device-for-men
  22. In the parlance of our times, least excessive Mac built.
  23. Nomadland (2020) It's a drama that's shot alternately like it's a documentary (it kind of is) with a lot of long, West Anderson style establishing shots. Frances McDormand is an amazing actor. She earned her flowers and not because she married to a Coen Brother (to this day I'm not sure which one.) Apparently a lot of people were Bigmadland when it won a number of Oscars.
  24. San Francisco Rising
  25. DJTJ's ex-fiance Kimberly Guilfoyle is getting a lot of bad press because of her blatant bribes (and attempts to get more) from the "Snappy Tomato Pizza" co-owner Eric Deters. Deters got mad at her because he gave her $300K and got shit to show for it. Among his list of demands was wanting Guilfoyle to pass on a copy of a song he wrote to Kid Rock. I present the song in question:

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.