T2 knob turning

kevin gilmore

Although some woods look great in larger pieces, their grain pattern is too big to look good on smaller pieces, such as knobs. Snakewood should work really well, if you can find a piece large enough. Another wood with a beautiful small grain pattern is Bocote. It also happens to turn very well...

bocote1.jpg

Edited by swt61

Finding the snakewood turning out to be very hard. I need at minimum a 2 inch cube.

But 2 x 2 x 5 or better desired. If anyone finds anything interesting of an appropriate

size, please email me the link to purchase. Air dried and no cracks...

Also trying to find some merchaum and not having any luck there.

I have found nice pieces of zebra wood and bocote...

water and hardige lathes is a really bad combination.

i've seen the result and don't want to be blamed for this.

Now lots and lots of oil, that would be possible.

If i do it completely NC, then that lathe is stainless and

designed to take that off white stinking mess that is mostly water.

(the rest of it is bacteria) :D

water and hardige lathes is a really bad combination.

i've seen the result and don't want to be blamed for this.

Now lots and lots of oil, that would be possible.

If i do it completely NC, then that lathe is stainless and

designed to take that off white stinking mess that is mostly water.

(the rest of it is bacteria) biggrin.png

Yeah, I was referring to saw cutting and grinding of gemstones.

Actually soapy water is what is used. An emulsifier is required because asbestos isn't

"water soluble". The additive binds with it to carry it off and contain it.

I suppose that cutting fluid would be preferable in a CNC environment.

And yes, I used to work as a machinist and have stood many hours in front of a lathe or mill

and had to endure stinky cutting fluid. Once that stuff gets on your skin, "it stays with you". Yuck!

Yeah, I was referring to saw cutting and grinding of gemstones.

Actually soapy water is what is used. An emulsifier is required because asbestos isn't

"water soluble". The additive binds with it to carry it off and contain it.

I suppose that cutting fluid would be preferable in a CNC environment.

And yes, I used to work as a machinist and have stood many hours in front of a lathe or mill

and had to endure stinky cutting fluid. Once that stuff gets on your skin, "it stays with you". Yuck!

Could you cut that stone on a CNC mill? Wouldn't even a silicon carbide cutter get dull about immediately? I guess diamond tools could be used, at low speed.

Yeah, tigers eye, the fibers inside are asbestos.... don't want that flying around. Actually even ordinary silica-type rock dust is bad.

But... I wonder if someone with lapidary skills and gear could turn this 2.5 inch lump of rock into a short, wide cylinder- i.e., a KNOB. Maybe with a domed top, sort of quasi- cabochon...? Or maybe a flat "bar" type knob...

Another stressful day in the smartphone wars was lightened a bit when The Knob of Voltron arrived. Here it is in all of its glory.

a68908d0-3ee6-40fa.jpg

a68908d0-3ef2-bb6c.jpg

I've found that rubbing the knob relieves some stress, so it will be difficult to let it go and mount it to the T2.

Thanks for the beautiful work, Kevin. The KOV will be another highlight on the already amazing T2.

I also find that rubbing the knob relieves stress. I bet I could relieve even more if I could get someone else to...but I digress.

That really is a beautiful piece of work, and will make a fantastic addition to a fantastic amp! Hmmm, Gabon Ebony side pieces for the T-2?