T2 knob turning

kevin gilmore

That is possible here that it is a way to dry the wood, but it was done with hazardous chemicals and definitely used to beautify the material. The term is fumed and I am pretty sure there isn't much heat applied, if any. Hence the appeal to the woodworker and chemist :)

Edited by luvdunhill

• 4 months later...

I have a bit of rattle in my knob and was wondering if anyone had a solution (… stares at swt61 …)

I am using the Keystone panel bearing which seems to be comfortable with a 0.25" shaft and measuring that same shaft on my micrometer is amazingly 0.250". The shaft of the knob is 0.240", so we're talking about a 5mil gap.

Ideas:

some sort of adhesive teflon or even teflon tape?

heat shrink (probably a dumb idea)

some part buried at mcmaster-carr that fits the bill perfectly?

The problem of a shaft that fits loosely into a hole, is one I've had exactly zero experience with. ;)

Teflon tape is going to be very difficult to keep in place, while fitting the knob onto the shaft. I would try some masking tape, as I think it'll hold onto the shaft better.

The Teflon tape seems to be working. The problem is that it isn't super durable even after 10 or so layers it took to get the right diameter. It worked perfectly for a bit and now has slight rattle.. it's like the tape is compressing with use. I will leave it for now I guess...

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...