Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

They'll never really be bass monsters, but I actually prefer them with the pico power vs the pico slim. Didn't do any volume matching or such, but it sounds better to me with the PP. I think I'd probably jump ship to the JH13s if I ever tried them but my er-4s has a fair bit of sentimental value now...first headphone I bought from headroom back when I first started (with a headroom bithead).

Do it! this is the Case  :indra:  Now seriously, I'd love trying the JH13, mostly for all this pack raving about them, but custom earpieces aren't an option not living in the States, considering it's rather frequent some "retouching" is needed. I bet the JH13 with the PP is an awesome combo.

Don't know about the 002, but the 003 is ridiculously good for the price, though the fit can be iffy. Get the fit wrong and it sounds muffled and dull. Get it right and it has the best midrange this side of the 007 and HE90. Maybe the best period. It's not the most resolving 'stat around, but who cares.

002 and 003 are the same headphones, just a different cable (002 portable, 003 goes with the 005 system, which has a pro bias plug, IIRC). I wound up going with a medium tip in one ear, large tip in the other ear, and have been happy. I typically use it with the headband, as it's easier to deal with at work, but with the mismatched tips, I'm good with just having them as in-ears.

If you wanted portable, and not *just* transportable, though, the 002s are great. There have been adapters made, but I don't think there was even an "official" adapter. I don't have a home stat amp, and probably never will, but if I did, I'd definitely look into those.

**BRENT**

Thxs for the additional comments, Brent. The fully portable system on batteries would come handy for the on call shifts, short trips and such, but for vacations, away from home for more days, perhaps sound quality is more important and transportable is light enough, the 003 would make more sense. Maybe I should consider the 002 then an adapter to get it working on the 212 or even greater amps... see what you did? :palm:

All this positive talk about the in ear Stax has me thinking about ditching my previous plans for a portable can (e.g. Senn Momentum) and going for the SRS002 instead. :D. (Oh what kind of fit issues are talking about? Tips too big/small, headband uncomfortable?)

All this positive talk about the in ear Stax has me thinking about ditching my previous plans for a portable can (e.g. Senn Momentum) and going for the SRS002 instead. :D. (Oh what kind of fit issues are talking about? Tips too big/small, headband uncomfortable?)

From my small experience with it, positioning is absolutely critical in getting decent sound out of it, and not all people can get it and consistently.

Also (and this is not fit-related) : people don't really associated such open cans with travel (think the opposite of Ety's), so ... that reduces the market somewhat (not an issue, and not trying to make it to be, just trying to explain their lack of popularity -- it's a very specific market -- Torpedo's call shifts sounds like a perfect application).

Well, the tips take a little bit to get used to. I know at one point a couple of us were in talks with an IEM maker (not JH Audio) about getting custom tips made.

It took me a little bit to get the best fit, and not until I tried different tips for different ears did the magic happen, as they say. I think I said this earlier: medium tip in one ear, large tip in the other, and they fit great!

Oh, I WAS able to squeeze some large Comply tips over them, and they worked really well. Unfortunately, they only lasted a few days, as they ripped apart. Perhaps if there were even larger diameter ones, it would work, but they really were comfy. I would get some odd noises which I thought was something with the headphones during/around some insertions, until I realized it was just a fit thing. Now? Why, I just listen to the beautiful, beautiful music (or audiobooks, or bad music, at times).

I do hear stuff on some of my most played albums I've never heard before. There's a word for this low level detail... can't think of it at the moment, though. I'm sure someone can help.

I bought 8 AA Eneloops and rotate them out. I typically get through a day of listening at work, which winds up being 5-6 hours.

**BRENT**

Ah I see, very interesting, thank you both for the detailed notes. Hmmm so they're very sensitive to fit.

I think the openness shouldn't be an issue for how I intend to use them, but I can see how that would conflict with normal expectations of a portable earphone.