Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

Jacob,

If you decide to dabble into buying a few more tubes my recommnedation would be to track down a pair of 5998s.  They used to sell in the $100-$150 range on Ebay, but looking now I don't see any good options.  I'd be on the lookout for them anyway.  They were far and away my favorite in the Menace, which is essentially an Extreme taken to the Extreme.  7236s would be a solid second option but as you're finding, even cheap-as-chips 6AS7s sound really fracken good. 

Woo comes closest with the WA2 but it's not really the same thing.  If someone came up with a concept and then was able to bring it to market in time to catch the HD800 fire it might be profitable.  But I'd expect it to cost ~$2500 to do it right and there's a lot of up front to swallow and as Justin has said recently, the real $$ to be made is still in portables.

Woo comes closest with the WA2 but it's not really the same thing.  If someone came up with a concept and then was able to bring it to market in time to catch the HD800 fire it might be profitable.  But I'd expect it to cost ~$2500 to do it right and there's a lot of up front to swallow and as Justin has said recently, the real $$ to be made is still in portables.

I was never impressed with the WA2. On the other hand, I do like the WA5LE with the HD800 but it is (probably unneccessarily) huge/heavy and not so cheap. Not saying that it is similar to the circuit of the Extreme but just saying that I like it better than the WA2.

Never had an extreme but one of the most magical (at least to my memory) setups I ever had was the Modwright 999ES > PPX3 Slam > RS-1. Too bad the PPX3 Slam exploded my RS-1 driver (which Grado fixed out of warranty for $100).

to be fair I thought it was a bad tube that exploded the RS-1, but long after I sold my PPX3 I got a tube tester and the tube tested fine. so who knows really. all I know is I've been all solid state ever since.

This one should last a good long time.  I found a few 6SN7s in my basement, and have some 6080s on their way, so I should be able to really knock it out.

I prefer the 6AS7G to 6060 and 5998 tubes in the Extreme.  I also like 6336 tubes a lot.

if it wasn't for the transformer fiasco and the 100% failure rate on extremes because of that

Mikhail might still be in business. I still don't understand why no one builds a similar product, Justin.

FTFY.

One of the big causes of problems with SP amps was Mikhail making all the tube adapters for tubes that really shouldn't be used.  Use only 6SN7 and its equivalents in the driver position.