i found first "official" notes about RKV mark 3

milma

Reading the specs, does this actually mean something or is it just the normal 'phool-speak?

• multi VIA layer grounding basis,  pcb design is based on the theoretical principles of the "kelvin - wiring"

And an OPA134? my my...

Don't care so much about the looks one way or another, but admittedly would probably prefer black.  The top cover/vent is overboard, though.  I DO like the functionality, switching OTL on and off, pre capability, load selection....as long as it's done well, I care less about what it looks like.  Given how good the Mk II sounded with the K-1000's, I'd consider this if the price wasn't nuts.

The EAR isn't pretty but it's not that bad in person.  The plain black box does help the "look at me" front end. 

Not sure what they are on about with the PCB stuff.  The Kelvin wiring is used for high current sensing so how would that apply here?  It applies to measuring "out of the signal path" so to speak. 

I thought Kelvin "cables" were usually used for precision measurement of low impedance? Like my 4-wire HP meter does? As you note, I'm not sure how this applies to a ground plane design (if that is what they are trying to convey), nor what that has to do with "vias", which are plated thru holes on a PCB connecting different layers, and which you normally try to avoid or minimize in board layout?

the page was updated last night

http://www.audiovalve.info/rkv3/audiovalve%20rkv%20mark3.html

rkv%20mark%203.jpg

How is it any uglier than, for example, the E.A.R. HP-4?

earhp4.jpg

That said, I have to admit, white wouldn't be my first choice for color of any audio component.

Sorry, Dusty, but no real comparison.  I've never been a huge fan of silver and gold combos, but the EAR is classy looking compared to the RKV.  The combo of the thin black top plate, star trek next generation looking acrylic daisy top, ivory painted body, giant stupid window, and three different sizes and shapes of gold dipped knobs and feet combine for a pretty nasty mess.  That said, if you don't mind it -- and I have to imagine a black version would be more appealing -- then I can't see you being dissuaded even by extreme dislike in others.

Plus, is there really a Dolce & Gabana GS-1000?  THAT is freaky.

I thought Kelvin "cables" were usually used for precision measurement of low impedance? Like my 4-wire HP meter does? As you note, I'm not sure how this applies to a ground plane design (if that is what they are trying to convey), nor what that has to do with "vias", which are plated thru holes on a PCB connecting different layers, and which you normally try to avoid or minimize in board layout?

A solid ground plane is the best way to go and linking it with vias (and I assume either planes on separate layers or with traces) is never the best of plans.  Perhaps they are in an off way talking about the 4 spoke thermal connection we use on PCB's?   

There are so many great tubes out there with zero audiophile cred.   That's why I like the L-2 so much, tube that is disregarded by pretty much everyone and one that can't be rolled.  :)

The TV tubes are a treasure trove though for electrostatic use.  Take the 6CM7 for instance, I bought a large box of them for pretty much nothing and they work just fine in a HEV90/Aristaeus style amp.  The structure is also very similar to the 6CG7 and thus the 6SN7.