Jump to content

Head Case Motorsports


VPI
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 1/15/2017 at 3:04 PM, grawk said:

An interesting problem with the 335d. I was passing someone on I83 this afternoon when I realized I was going about 115.

When I was in Illinois on work several decades ago, they accidentally rented me a turbo (Thunderbird).  I hit the gas, squealed the tires, and went nowhere.

And the ride was smooth as shit, so caught myself speeding repeatedly.  That's when I first started using the cruise control regularly as a way to prevent "leadfoot".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was in Illinois on work several decades ago, they accidentally rented me a turbo (Thunderbird).  I hit the gas, squealed the tires, and went nowhere.
And the ride was smooth as shit, so caught myself speeding repeatedly.  That's when I first started using the cruise control regularly as a way to prevent "leadfoot".
 

That's what I use cruise control for.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HemiSam said:

Because some men like playing with their sticks....

HS

Good thing that the current R8 is a modern car, and only comes with a dual clutch.  I learned to drive in a stick, and my first GTI was a stick.  I don't think I would go back.  I never want to hear a grind because I was listening to closely to the radio at a red light, ever again.

As much as I'd love a GT3, I'd take the current R8, any day of the week.

Edited by EdipisReks1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In all seriousness, the R-Tronics in the earlier cars had a lot of issues.  No secret.

As for me, I enjoy driving a manual transmission.  I have an 8-speed paddle shifted trans with variable settings available on the fly in my AWD Jeep with launch control and a torquey 6.4L naturally aspirated motor so it's not like I don't get the auto bit.  Simply enjoy the tactile side of a manual for sport.

HS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, HemiSam said:

In all seriousness, the R-Tronics in the earlier cars had a lot of issues.  No secret.

That shit was so long ago you might as well be saying that quills had problems compared to Bic pens (the irony is that I'd rather have the quill, as I'm someone with a large collection of 19th century dip-pen nibs, and I hate ballpoints, but this is why it's funny, so you'll just have to grin and bear it).

I'll trade my lumbar spine for yours, and we'll see how much you like "the tactile side."  I have 6 bad discs.  How you doin'?

17 hours ago, HemiSam said:

 I have an 8-speed paddle shifted trans with variable settings available on the fly in my AWD Jeep with launch control and a torquey 6.4L

Oh.  That is so far away from a modern high performance dual clutch that I guess you are talking about quills.  For anything but quarter miles.  And who gives a shit about that? ZF 8 speed excepted.  And you don't have a ZF 8 speed.

My father's favorite brother owned what was a very well-respected Euro-only repair shop, in Atlanta.  Soon after I learned to drive, in my dad's '73 Beetle, we took a trip down.  My uncle insisted that, if I could shift in that Beetle, I could shift in the show-room quality '65 911 that he owned.  It was a transformative expeirience.  Boy, that '65 911 sure felt fast compared to the Beetle!  I appreciate a manual transmission.  You couldn't get me to own a new car with one, and it has nothing to do with "enjoying the automotive experience."  I enjoy the motherfucking automotive experience. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
That's how you make a Jacob post, right?
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for the aside but Jacob, have you found anything that helps with a bad back? Someone I know was rear-ended a few years ago and she also has a bunch of bulging discs and horrible back pain. I've had my fair share of injuries, thankfully none in the spine, and wouldn't wish the experience (including what passes for healthcare in this country) on anyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mypasswordis said:

Sorry for the aside but Jacob, have you found anything that helps with a bad back? Someone I know was rear-ended a few years ago and she also has a bunch of bulging discs and horrible back pain. I've had my fair share of injuries, thankfully none in the spine, and wouldn't wish the experience (including what passes for healthcare in this country) on anyone.

Time and exercise (who would think Jacob would do exercise?) has helped.  I'm okay, most of the time. Time has been a big enough contributor that I'm unsure if the exercise part has been of much help.  The null value has not been rejected.  If nothing else, the boxing gym (I used to box a lot) has been painful fun.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

T I could shift in the show-room quality '65 911 that he owned.  It was a transformative expeirience.  Boy, that '65 911 sure felt fast compared to the Beetle!  

Those early 911's were widow makers. Porche hadn't got the balance right, and above a certain speed the front wheels lost traction - and as soon as you hit anything other than straight you were toast. It took an iteration or three before Porsche got it right in that regard and later ones through to the modern day stick to the road like glue.

The first series 911's in good condition are now considerably north of 100k (of most currencies - they all seem close to unity exchange now). I guess because there aren't many left that weren't wrapped round trees. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Those early 911's were widow makers. Porche hadn't got the balance right, and above a certain speed the front wheels lost traction - and as soon as you hit anything other than straight you were toast. It took an iteration or three before Porsche got it right in that regard and later ones through to the modern day stick to the road like glue.

The first series 911's in good condition are now considerably north of 100k (of most currencies - they all seem close to unity exchange now). I guess because there aren't many left that weren't wrapped round trees. 

I wasn't allowed to go very fast, or take very many turns. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm having bad thoughts. The focus is in with the dealer for a warranty upholstery repair and they still have black RS sitting there. First offer was willing to give it to me for list and about 5k under my buyout for the ST so basically the same price as a few months ago when I placed an order.... If I can get them down a bit more I'm very tempted.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm having bad thoughts. The focus is in with the dealer for a warranty upholstery repair and they still have black RS sitting there. First offer was willing to give it to me for list and about 5k under my buyout for the ST so basically the same price as a few months ago when I placed an order.... If I can get them down a bit more I'm very tempted.

But if you got it then what would you have to bitch about?

**BRENT**

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

That shit was so long ago you might as well be saying that quills had problems compared to Bic pens (the irony is that I'd rather have the quill, as I'm someone with a large collection of 19th century dip-pen nibs, and I hate ballpoints, but this is why it's funny, so you'll just have to grin and bear it).

I'll trade my lumbar spine for yours, and we'll see how much you like "the tactile side."  I have 6 bad discs.  How you doin'?

Oh.  That is so far away from a modern high performance dual clutch that I guess you are talking about quills.  For anything but quarter miles.  And who gives a shit about that? ZF 8 speed excepted.  And you don't have a ZF 8 speed.

My father's favorite brother owned what was a very well-respected Euro-only repair shop, in Atlanta.  Soon after I learned to drive, in my dad's '73 Beetle, we took a trip down.  My uncle insisted that, if I could shift in that Beetle, I could shift in the show-room quality '65 911 that he owned.  It was a transformative expeirience.  Boy, that '65 911 sure felt fast compared to the Beetle!  I appreciate a manual transmission.  You couldn't get me to own a new car with one, and it has nothing to do with "enjoying the automotive experience."  I enjoy the motherfucking automotive experience. 

I may be 50, but that wasn't that long ago....

Scoliosis here but not terrible.  I simply have to behave and use the right bed, etc...  My 17 year old son, unfortunately, has two herniated discs (L4 and L5).  Terrible pain in his back and back of his leg from the sciatic nerve compression.  He had an epidural steroid injection Friday.  Starting to feel better, but his varsity basketball season is over.  Poor kid.

The transmission in my Jeep SRT is an 8HP70.  It's pretty good considering the Jeep weighs 5500lbs w/o me in it.  For context I've gone 0-60 in 4.1 seconds with zero modifications...it was a cool day.  I can kick the shit out of most sports cars at our local road race track (MSR) in sport setting so I hear you but meh...  I like to drive.  My straight line stuff I do in my Challenger.  It's an automatic now but I generally shift it manually anyhoo as I have both options with the flip of a switch and then using a ratchet shifter.

I hear you about the dual clutch designs but they've been hit and miss including in Porsches.  So as long as you only want to recall the last few years, OK...I get it, but it's not been all gravy.  I won't make some purist argument about manuals.  But I know what I enjoy...whether it's a heart shaped ass and a C-cup or a sports car.  You can wax on about your preferences all day long.  And as for track time, we should dance :)

HS

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...