Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

The Wustof and Henkels blades are way too soft for me. The softness has some advantages in that they sharpen with a a few minutes on the stone, but I would rather have a higher maintenance high carbon forged blade any time for the sheer smooth and effortless slicing they provide. Most commercial chef knives sold in retail stores will have high chromium content to make them stainless and like most cases there is a trade off and the trade off is a soft blade. I use a my Shun 10 inch Damascus for big dinner parties requiring a lot of food prep which is fine in most cases but nothing beats my hand forged single edge Mitsubishi white steel Santouko style for slicing everything fast and neat.

I agree with Reks though for commercially available chef knives in the affordable range nothing beats Global and Shun.

I don't like the handle or the weight or the look of the Global knives, but the Shuns are more interesting. I have been meaning to get a santoku style for awhile but never pulled the trigger. Need some for MOA, so maybe Japanese will be the way to go. Hai!

I agree with the others about Shun. They are much better than the German knives of a couple of years ago. I have the original Shun Ken Onion Chef knife and a Shun Elite Deba. Love them both.

Al, I agree with you about the Globals. They just don't seem to fit my hand well and I hate their aesthetics.

I was a Henckels man until I tried my first Shun.

Next time you're in a store that carries Henckels, check out the handles on the 5 Star line. The 5 Star line is made in Germany; Henckels and Wusthoff have had some problems with their Chinese production facilities. BTW, I've got about a dozen old Randalls, mostly with left-handed stag and sheathes. But this thread about "the last thing you bought". :D

Guest sacd lover

Millet Starving Student from Posta_ Blue. I suppose some would think this is nerdy but this guys execution of the car theme is flawless .... plus these are just excellent Grado amps.

_MG_9659.jpg

_MG_9660.jpg