Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Never quite got why that amp offered balanced preamp outputs but only single ended headphone outputs. I wonder if one each of the headphone outputs is out of phase and with an adapter it could be made to drive headphone balanced from the front panel. :confused:

Not for what Tim told me when I contacted him asking that and some more questions. His own words were: "if you want an amplifier to drive balanced headphones, look elsewhere" :eek: Not a very friendly guy, however his stuff sounds great IMO.

I'm with dan, the worst that you'd need is a male/female converter for the rear panel outputs if you wanted to see about driving your headphones balanced. I'd need to take a whole lot closer look to see if it's worth doing (based on how he's creating a balanced signal for the preamp output). Regardless, it's nothing worth stressing over. My primary headphone amp is single ended, I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Never quite got why that amp offered balanced preamp outputs but only single ended headphone outputs.
Probably because it was designed before anyone other than Headroom was balancing headphones on the then-named Blockhead. It hadn't really caught on yet.
I wonder if one each of the headphone outputs is out of phase and with an adapter it could be made to drive headphone balanced from the front panel. :confused:
I wonder if it could be rewired to do so. It should just be a matter of taking different leads off the transformer, neh? I doubt you'd want to do it as is, as they're designed for different impedances. Edited by Dusty Chalk

I only liked the GS1k when it was turned up louder than I listen. I can see why you'd never get close to the levels required :)

The only GS1k that I've ever heard that I liked was one of the two prototypes from the first National Meet. I've heard it more than once, compared it to other GS1000s and it's a pretty different beast.

The only GS1k that I've ever heard that I liked was one of the two prototypes from the first National Meet. I've heard it more than once, compared it to other GS1000s and it's a pretty different beast.

Hard to believe, but how do I know...:cool:

I agree with Nate. I haven't followed the conspiracy theories on why John G changed the GS1K after those prototypes (which had the proper production wooden cups and giant bagel pads) but there is no doubt in my mind that the cans I heard that weekend were better and quite different from the final production model. Too bad, really, because I like those cans especially on the Blackie Pagano 300B amp. That was a cool ass combo.

Someone have to ask John, dont you think? I would if I had that chance, to hear prototypes I mean...

EAR is much delicate amp than others I owned and when the source is on the right level, man, it must be a heaven, so, I need a proper source to really appreciate them, however I do love them already...

Do you have a link to this Blackie thing please...

I agree with Nate. I haven't followed the conspiracy theories on why John G changed the GS1K after those prototypes (which had the proper production wooden cups and giant bagel pads) but there is no doubt in my mind that the cans I heard that weekend were better and quite different from the final production model. Too bad, really, because I like those cans especially on the Blackie Pagano 300B amp. That was a cool ass combo.

Someone have to ask John, dont you think? I would if I had that chance, to hear prototypes I mean...

EAR is much delicate amp than others I owned and when the source is on the right level, man, it must be a heaven, so, I need a proper source to really appreciate them, however I do love them already...

Do you have a link to this Blackie thing please...

There have already been many discussions of this issue on Head-Fi, so check out the search function over there to try to find it. John G has been asked but I don't know what he says.

Click on the pic to go to Blackie's site:

resized_duality1.jpg

There have already been many discussions of this issue on Head-Fi, so check out the search function over there to try to find it. John G has been asked but I don't know what he says.

Click on the pic to go to Blackie's site:

Al, I hear Blackie is now in the LA area. Maybe time you get an amp commissioned from him? :indra:

I keed, I keed :dotu:

Here is a GS-1000 thread:

Meet Impression and ethics. - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio :(