If you had to downgrade your entire rig to $500 ...

jinp6301

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

hey all,

been lurking around this place for a while and thought i'd create an account. really enjoyed this thread, despite it being very old now.

would anyone care to update what they'd do for $500 now days? If not, and i've overstepped the bounds of a newbie let the troll begin! i'll shut up and get back to lurking if that's the case. Yes i've read the welcome pm, and yes i'm a noob.

cheers.

Necrophilia in action here, resurrecting an old thread, eh?

I never jumped into this one before, but thought about it a little just now. I'd probably say:

SR-Lambda (which I much prefer over my similarly priced HD600 and other budget phones)

Marantz 2240 vintage amp with SRD-7 (or other vintage amp, although my 15w Muse T-amp could work on a tighter budget)

Marantz CD5001 (this is a great bang for the buck, nicely transparent and detailed sound via RCA output)

I have about $600 in that rig. If the $500 budget is a brick wall then I use the cheaper amp.

Lol, love a bit of necrophilia, apparently around time I started med school, more stringent security measures were implemented due to staff misdeeds with some of the cadavers...

Thanks for the replies so far, vintage gear appears to be popular around here. More reading to do it seems