Fuck in snow

Salt Peanuts

Incoming ordinance - 8-12" due tomorrow morning starting just in time to make the morning commute nasty and lasting all day.

x2.

Though my work (public school) will most likely be closed tomorrow.  Unfortunately, I probably won't know for certain until about an hour before I'm supposed to be at work.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

This photo was at 1:30PM, and then it dumped another 7-8" by 6PM.  

I had to take the snow blower out at lunch and dinner time to clear the driveway, and by 7PM we had another 2-3" on the driveway.  At dinner time I actually had to do the driveway and sidewalk twice back to back, just so the accumulation wouldn't be back to 6-7" by the morning.  I also did my neighbor's driveway, and he had two foot snowdrifts to deal with.

No snow day for Ben, but school is on a 2 hour delay for Wed.

post-905-0-31448300-1391589371_thumb.jpg

^ Yeah, ice sucks. Stay safe guys.

We got maybe 4" so far, made the drive into work really slow. Had to jump my son's car to move it last night (needs a battery), and a cop gave him a ticket yesterday for it being parked in the cul de sac for days. Put the car in the driveway last night, had to jump it this morning and put it back out on the street. Will replace the battery tonight. Love how he waits for the best days for these things :indra:

Hang in there, Dan.  We haven't had a major ice storm here for a few years (knock on wood) but I remember what a pain in the ass they were.  Lately it's been really heavy snow and wind.  I noticed a few weeks back, when I took the Xmas tree way out back to put it on the burn pile, that we lost a 40' birch tree this winter.  It must have come down during one of the major wind events that we had but was still surprising to see. 

Ice storms are the reason I have a generator and transfer switch.  The setup is sufficient to provide heat/hotwater, power to about half the house (most importantly the fridge/freezer) and cook in the microwave.  I've only had to use it once in the last three years but it was nearly worth it from that instance alone and the peace of mind is hard to put a value on with two little kids. 

• Like 1

^ Glad to hear it Dan!

Another few inches overnight here. Now that it's stopped snowing the wind has picked up, so everything that was plowed/shoveled is blowing closed again. This has been a bitch of a winter so far round these parts.

Agreed. This one is the suckiest winter I can recall since moving to Chicago in the late '80s.