Fuck in snow

Salt Peanuts

Jacob, you might have some luck just wrapping that A/C in thick blankets on the inside, putting a garbage bag over the blankets, and wrapping the whole thing with rope.  Then tape the joint between the garbage bag and the wall/window.  It'll look like ass, but it should make a difference with the temperature.

Edited by acidbasement

We have an old style permanent window A/C unit in the bedroom, and it is causing problems. I have the windows sealed well, but the A/C itself is largely uninsulated, so the bulk metal projecting into the bedroom cools the room about as well as the blazingly hot radiator warms it (and the window around the A/C unit has frost on the inside), so it's in the lower 60s in the bedroom. This wasn't a problem last year, but last year the temps never got below about 20. It's -4, right now, and that seems to be making the difference. Not sure the landlord will do much about it, unfortunately. The rest of the apartment is fine, being kept at about 66-67, tonight (with crappy windows, despite my best efforts at sealing leaks, and steam radiators that have to be set for the whole building, this is a reasonable temp), but the bedroom is kind of a place where you want it to be warm.

Hope you found a solution.  Sleeping in the low 60s is not recommended.  That reminds me of the apartment in Boston I had (really it was an attic of an old house).  Several times a winter, always on a Friday night, the furnace would break.  It is difficult yo get someone to come out on Friday night apparently and I would end up sleeping in a very cold apartment (in the 50s) on the floor by the fireplace and space heater.  Not fun.

Shelly, if you're that worried it might be worth running a tap or two all night to keep the water moving.  Better a inflated water bill (if you're on town/city water) than a broken pipe. 

We spent a lot of Sunday insulating the outside pipes and spigots, and covering all the vents to the crawlspace.  We also kept some dripping faucets last night but it barely got into the 20s.  Guess it is better to be safe than sorry (although I could have used that time on Sunday to work with my coauthor who is in town).  

I suppose that works for men (and some women) but when it is too cold, my hands and feet never warm up enough to get to sleep. Even now, I am in my house where it is 72 and I am wearing long underwear under my clothes and a light fleece (plus smart wool socks on my feet), my hands and feet are still very cold (enough that it slows down my work).  

Raynaud's syndrome, maybe?

This might be something you want to ask your doctor about. My ex-wife had Raynauds and it does manifest in the hands and feet. Below about 30 F she would begin to actually experience physical pain and her hands would turn white. There are some drugs and also if you know you have it you can offset with gloves,  warmers etc.

Shelly, a knit cap and silk underwear?  Stay away from cotton anything.

Jacob, try bubble wrap around the inside (bedroom side) of the ac unit and across the window, secure it to the wall with painter's tape not duct tape or masking tape.

did you just reveal you are a Lizard Person, Shelly? 

Well, there is that.  :)

I've never noticed my fingers turning white so I think I am ok for the Raynauds syndrome (couldn't hurt to ask at my physical though).  I don't actually think I am all that different than a lot of other women.   In seminars, the women are often putting on blankets while the men think the temperature is just fine or even too warm.  We just happen to have colder extremities than men.  

I've thought of that, but I don't have access to a ladder tall enough to get to the A/C (it's 10 or 12 feet in the air).

If I could remove it, I would, but it's a permanent emplacement.

Maybe something like this then?

http://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Air-Conditioner-Cover-Plastic/dp/B002YEPZH8

Or

http://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Conditioner-Cover-Brown-Small-12-14/dp/B004BAWD6O

Well, there is that.   :)

I've never noticed my fingers turning white so I think I am ok for the Raynauds syndrome (couldn't hurt to ask at my physical though).  I don't actually think I am all that different than a lot of other women.   In seminars, the women are often putting on blankets while the men think the temperature is just fine or even too warm.  We just happen to have colder extremities than men.  

My wife would argue that the blood is going to her brain as she thinks a lot more than me.  My hands and feet usually are plenty warm....you can apparently derive from there  ;D

• Like 1

Car wouldn't start today. Battery was too cold. The issue was it was blocking the car that was in the garage. Said frozen car wouldn't shift into neutral either. So, sorta held the shifter down and shoved it towards N and it would kinda move assuming lots of pressure in the shifter.. So, backed one car into the other to help move it and an Austin Powers esque scene ensued trying to get the one car out around the other car. Finally after some slight damage and blocking the street for a good while, was able to jump said frozen car. Yeah. It was not fun.

Edited by luvdunhill

I'm thinking that the bubble wrap suggestion was a great idea!

I keep my main heater down in the low 60's and use a portable electric heater in the my bedroom if I need it. I've got one that's pretty efficient for the room size but I can see it on my my power bill.

I doubt if there's anyone here that's as much of a cheap skate as I am but if I'm too cold to relax, that's no good.

Anyway, it sounds like your ancient heater system works okay most of the time so you might try buying something for these crazy cold nights just to keep the peace?

If you don't have a ceiling fan and your landlord won't allow you to install one you might consider buying a small box fan and placing it up as close to the ceiling as possible and have it blow air down towards the floor.  I will bet you have a lot of warm air accumulating up in your ceiling.