Fuck in snow

Salt Peanuts

this sucks.

got my walkway, driveway and 300 mile sidewalk completely finished, my neighbor came home and parked partially in front of my house in such a way that that the plow basically only did the opposite side of the road, with a consolation prize of a mountain of wet, clumpy snow on the other half of the road going up to my driveway.

i started to shovel out the road late this afternoon and the stuff feels 5 times as heavy as the first foot or so of snow I shoveled this morning.

it would have been better if he hadn't plowed at all, i suspect.

Just spent 3 hours shoveling my driveway and by the time I was done, there were already 2" on the section I shoveled first.  Oh, and thanks to the lovely town plow/DPW, my "driveway" was magically extended by ~15 feet while having ½ its original width.  Fuckers.

I think I'm going to be finally buying a snow blower after this winter.

The forecast overnight here is for continued snow/wintery-mix so there's no point in clearing the driveway at this point. Might as well leave the snow there to soak up any rain/ice so that the driveway is that much less of a skating rink tomorrow morning.  I expect that there will be a delayed opening for school as it isn't really supposed to wind down until 5/6am.  We've gotten about 8" of pretty heavy, wet snow so far.

Sorry to hear all the driveway horrors....we did OK a little South of Nate and East of Haj: ~9", not horribly heavy.  Son started clearing steps and I continued, then our plow guy came at the perfect time.

I'll likely have to lay out some sand tomorrow, as it was a little rain/sleet precipitation as I finished.  Not sure what will happen with Andrew's school, next week is vacation week....

Ended up with a reported 18.2 inches in my neighborhood. That last 2-3 inches that fell after I cleaned up really made for a shitty morning but I made it out and am off to work. Stupid snow froze and stuck to my windows so I had to chisel most of it off. Next time I will come out and night and knock all that crap off. Pretty slick this morning.

I trudged down my hill through about a foot of snow, then minimally brushed snow off the honda pilot to drive into work today.  As usual, once I got out of my driveway, everything was fine.  Saw a hummer h2 that had powered straight when his cloverleaf exit didn't, and another car that had turned up on it's side.  My coworker saw both those events, and neither was triggered by anything other than driver idiocy.

I woke up to half as much snow as we had when I went to bed.  It pretty much rained all night making cleanup this morning a bit of a chore.  And the driveway is covered in a layer of slush because the snow got so saturated over night.  It's always a toss-up as to whether or not to blow the snow before the rain or after. 

I play stuff like this as "silly" or a "cool trick/stunt", (that was awesome!) It seems kids will play off our initial reaction, so if we panic, they get upset, which is what they think they should do, if it is more scary than actually painful.

When it's a little more serious than a bump, I still try to play it cool in front of the kids and freak out in private if need be.

So far, this has worked in weeding out the real pain from just being scared, at least the majority of the time the past ~11 years.

**BRENT**

Aside: 11 years? MAN, I'm old.

When we would go skiing we would take along a one quart spray bottle filled with a 2:1 solution of isopropyl alcohol and water to de-ice the windshield and headlights.

To prevent windshield ice try another one quart spray bottle with a 3:1 mixture of vinegar and water.

We got another 3 or so inches last night.  Pretty hard to tell with the 20+mph winds that were blowing most of the time and continued through the morning.  The depths in the driveway ranged from bare pavement to 12" deep.  Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty fracking nasty too.  Highs in the single digits and wind chills in the double-digit below 0 category.