Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Congrats on the 4. In case you are open to options other than the minimal soft type, I'd recommend looking at Otterbox Commuter series. I've been happy with it.

It has a soft cover with a hard shell clipped over and comes with a screen protector. The design makes holding, typing, etc. much easier than with no case, solid protection but not overly bulky. YMMV.

Edited by robm321

I want to remind everyone who might ever be interested in jailbreaking their iPhone/Touch/iPad someday that they should be regularly running the Firmware Umbrella (aka TinyUmbrella) to store your device's SHSH blobs for each version of iOS that comes out. Even if you don't ever plan to jailbreak, having the SHSH blobs saved increases the value of the device if you want to sell it later.

If you have the SHSH saved for older versions of the iOS on your device, then you can install older "jailbreakable" versions of iOS that Apple has stopped signing. The problem is that if you've never saved the SHSH before, then you can only fetch the blobs for the current version of iOS that is Apple is signing, and for future versions. So right now you will only be able to save SHSH blobs for 4.2.1 which doesn't have an untethered jailbreak or unlock yet. But someday 4.2.1 will have a jailbreak/unlock, and you'll want to have your SHSH saved for when that day comes, or in case you need to re-install 4.2.1 after 4.3 comes out and Apple stops signing 4.2.1, and so on.

iOS 4.1 is the latest version that can take a non-tethered jailbreak and can be unlocked for other networks. On the iPhone 4, you can only be unlocked from ATT with iOS 4.1 if you upgraded from something lower than 4.1 and were able to preserve the baseband at 1.59. TinyUmbrella's TSS server will let you option-restore to iOS 4.1 without upgrading the baseband from 1.59, but only if you saved the SHSH for your device with iOS 4.1.

Even though iOS 4.2.1 came out weeks ago, this weekend I was able to upgrade my jailbroken iPhone 4 from iOS 4.0.1 to iOS 4.1, even though Apple stopped signing iOS 4.1 installs weeks ago. Without saving my old 4.1 SHSH I would have either been stuck at 4.01 or I would have had to jump to 4.2.1 which doesn't have an untethered jailbreak or unlock. Right now if you upgrade to 4.2.1 the baseband is updated and can't be unlocked yet, and you can't install 4.2.1 with the old baseband due to changes Apple made. Once the baseband is updated you can never go back, and then you have to wait until they come up with a new unlock for the new baseband.

Anyway, just look into this so that you are covered in the event that you need to revert your device back to an older version of iOS, or even if you need re-install the same version again after Apple has released a newer version. Personally, I would not need to jailbreak if Apple would allow apps like SBSettings or Snappy, and unrestricted 3G for facetime, or a Wifi hotspot without giving up my unlimited data plan (4.3 should have Wifi hotspot). I'd really like to have 4.2.1 for the Airplay videos and Airprint, but I'm gonna wait until I can do an un-tethered jailbreak. We might go overseas and I'd also like to be able to pop in a foreign SIM card with my unlocked iPhone. If you need jailbreak advice I'll try to help.

Hey folks, I need to backup a large amount of text messages from my 3GS (like 8 months-worth) and have yet to really find a good way to go about it. Forwarding them all to my e-mail would take ages and the basic text files don't keep track of the sender and receiver. I came across this but it seems pretty basic and not worth the $10 registration. Any suggestions?

Hey folks, I need to backup a large amount of text messages from my 3GS (like 8 months-worth) and have yet to really find a good way to go about it. Forwarding them all to my e-mail would take ages and the basic text files don't keep track of the sender and receiver. I came across this but it seems pretty basic and not worth the $10 registration. Any suggestions?
I wrote a program that saves off all the texts -- it's a SQLite database, IIRC. I forget the program it was based on, but the idea was that if you lost or someone stole your iPhone, you could get it to post its location via twitter based on a URL...actually, now that I think about it, there are probably hundreds of apps that can do so, including some sort of backup program. Or there's probably a hack to get at them, something like this (except texts instead of notes), perhaps?

They're doing a hard push now because you can't on verizon.

This and I thought they'd start doing it sooner than now.

As for the unlimited data thing, I haven't even come close to going over the 2gb limit on my iPhone. My bet is Verizon will pull the unlimited data plan before iPhone 5 (or whatever) comes out.

The HTC Thunderbolt using SVDO and 4G Bionic will both do data and voice at the same time on Verizon. Not the same as an iPhone I know. I'm leaning towards the next version of the iPhone coming most likely in June removing that argument.

Edited by manaox2

4G is a battery killer from what I've read.

As for the unlimited data thing, I haven't even come close to going over the 2gb limit on my iPhone. My bet is Verizon will pull the unlimited data plan before iPhone 5 (or whatever) comes out.

You're probably right about them dropping the unlimited.

Well, I found a really nice case from case crown for my iPhone 4. It's one of those glider cases, where it is 2 pieces that snap into each, but the inside is lined with felt to prevent scratches and to make a nice snug fit. The material is polycarbonate but it's considered a soft feel polycarbonate. It's molded about as perfect as you can get, and sort of latches over the metal side rim making a real nice tight fit that looks great. And it doesn't add much bulk at all because it conforms and is so well molded to the phone. I'm happy, and the wife will get one too.

Hosted, it didnt come with a screen protector, and after seeing my wife already get a little micro scratch on her screen, I figured we should get some. If anyone has a recommendation for a screen protector that doesn't suck, easy to apply, no air bubbles or streaks, etc...that would be great.