Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

i wonder what's going to happen in the future with Unlimited Data vs. Not Unlimited Data. could it become the divide between the haves and the have nots?

in a few years, 2GB/$30 will be nothing. maybe 10GB will be a new lower limit, but it will cost $50/mo. in a few decades we'll be paying $500/mo for data while all the early adopters still have unlimited data for $20-30/mo. or will they find a way to kick out those that were grandfathered in?

I was grandfathered this go round, with the original AT&T unlimited $30 per month, but I fully expect to be kicked out eventually. I surf a lot on the iphone and rarely use more than 1G per month.

I cant remember now, but I think that the $30 unlimited was just part of one of the iphone packages at that time. March of 2008

set alarm and woke up just before 2am central to preorder. of course everything was a mess, went back to bed about 20 minutes after on sale. the next morning both apple and at&t were giving me grief about shipping to work instead of my billing address. i changed my address on apple.com and changed my billing address on my card, but apple still wanted to ship to the old address. weird. did the same with at&t and had no issues. so i should have my 4S black 16gb from at&t next friday! i am excited.

When I ordered online Apple made me ship to my home address which was the one AT&T had, instead of my billing address. All I had to do was call Apple on the phone a few hours later with the order numbers for both phones, and they changed the shipping address for me after the order, without protest.

i was grandfathered under unlimited data for a long time too, but i dropped down the 2 GB plan a couple months ago. i never came anywhere close to 2 GB, even on my heaviest use month, so i figured i'd save a few bucks.

I was also grandfathered unlimited until this past June. I found myself in a position where I needed tethering and didn't want to jailbreak. Like you I never even came close to 2GB, except for one month when I was on the road a lot and streaming from the SiriusXM app. Now I run an XM skydock with antennae so thats not necessary. I needed the tethering to take an online exam while I was on the road seeing Phish. Pretty cool taking an exam in operations management from the back seat of my car cruising down a Georgia interstate.

the major carriers will eventually find a way to cancel everyone's unlimited data.

most people say they never hit 2GB but that won't last. in 2001 we moved a mile and lost access to either cable internet or DSL, leaving satellite as the only option. DirecPC had a 500MB/month cap...for home internet. now you could eat that up in a day just with basic web browsing. so everyone's going to have to constantly upgrade to more expensive data plans

I was also grandfathered unlimited until this past June. I found myself in a position where I needed tethering and didn't want to jailbreak. Like you I never even came close to 2GB, except for one month when I was on the road a lot and streaming from the SiriusXM app. Now I run an XM skydock with antennae so thats not necessary. I needed the tethering to take an online exam while I was on the road seeing Phish. Pretty cool taking an exam in operations management from the back seat of my car cruising down a Georgia interstate.

the major carriers will eventually find a way to cancel everyone's unlimited data.

You must have really long arms and legs to drive from back there!

We kept our Verizon MiFi so that none of us would have to give up our unlimited iPhone data, or risk being caught tethering through a jailbreak. ATT has somehow figured out when people are tethering with a jailbreak on an unlimited plan, and they kick them into a metered plan with tethering after one warning. I found the MiFi was the best way to keep unlimited data and still do the occasional tethering (unless we could truly hide jail-broken tethering from ATT).

We've found that a mobile hotspot can be very handy when the home internet is down, and not just when going on short and long trips. We often don't realize how important our internet access is until we have to do things with a computer that's not online. My son can do homework while tagging along on errands or when I drag him to his sister's high school sports. A $10 Boingo WiFi account is cheaper, but you wont find them at the high school gym. And last year Justin and two other vendors used my mobile hotspot for internet at CanJam @ RMAF, and I was able to leave the hotspot with them when I left the room.

I did the math once, and if I set up everyone in the house for iPhone tethering and nixed the VZW MiFi, then the basic 2+2Gb per iPhone would only cost us $25 more than our unlimited plans + MiFi. However, the kids use a lot iPhone data with streaming video and music, so they would go over the limit fairly often. It might actually cost us about $100/mo more than what we spend now. So it's not worth the trade-off.

I didn't think iCloud worked until the end of the month. I have a developer iCloud thing running and I like it better than Mobile Me based solely on how it looks as I have never done anything with it.

Edited by VPI

gallery and iweb are the main things I was worried about. Looks like those don't go away until next summer tho.

You also lose keychain sync, and a few other things, but keychain sync has been a pain in my ass lately. I might go ahead and switch over soon.

I got it all installed. I definitely prefer the message center to the old system. I think I prefer the old rectangular slider switch graphic to the new circle thing but I can live with it. I also like that you can still use the device while it is syncing unlike the old way where it locks up during the process.

Edited by VPI

"To anyone getting 'An internal error occurred.' (3200) while installing iOS 5.0, Apple's servers are swamped, and failing half the requests," iOS developer and jailbreaker Jay Freeman, aka Saurik, said in a Tweet. Other users reported receiving errors codes of 5000. Many users reported their updates eventually succeeded, sometimes after as many as 10 failed attempts.

The Register: iOS update woes prompt gnashing of teeth for Apple fans

It's actually pretty funny looking at all of the different "fixes" on the web.

IE: Somebody tried putting their phone into airplane mode and OMG it werkd!!!

Or: Deleting all of their content and OMG it werkd!

Or: I tried a different USB port and OMG it werkd!!

When, in reality, it was just when they happened to get through the server.

Edit: Of course I was not gullible enough to try any of those rolleyes.gif

Edited by MoonShine