Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Any advantage to doing that? Either way I figure I have to establish an account with AT&T (not going to try another carrier at this point) and all I really want to do is avoid the 2yr contract nonsense. And of course it would be nice if I didn't have to try and go to the semi-local AT&T store (10 miles away) to do so this weekend. :)

Went to the local (25 miles away) AT&T corporate store for what should have been a 15 activation and account creation process. Over an hour later I finally got out of the. The sales rep, while inputting my data, forgot to put a '0' in the contract duration. So he called "Care" to get them to reset it, they refused. He asked his supervisor who thought he could do it. He spent 45 minutes fighting with their worthless management software (ironically called "Intelligence") and finally they just canceled the first phone number and added a second to the account with the correct information. I guess the only good to come out of it is that they felt so bad they gave me a free Otterbox case ($50).

The only other slightly disappointing thing is that I get 5 bars of 3G service to within 1 mile of my house, then it drops off a cliff and I get basically nothing at the house. Frack. It's the same for my Verizon phone so it's not surprising, but I'd hope to at least have mediocre coverage outside the house so that a repeater might help indoors. Doesn't look like anything short of a new tower (unlikely due to population density) is going to help.

i've got the otterbox case (3g defender)...the clip broke so i started putting it in my pocket...there's a trick to keeping the front screen of the case from sticking (watermarking)...you can dust it very lightly with baby powder or the like...

recently i dropped my 3g from a decent height & the bottom of the inner plastic molding shattered (but the phone made it out unscathed)...i called up otterbox as they have a lifetime warranty...they took my info & shipped me a replacement free of charge...they didn't ask for the damaged one to be returned or even for proof of purchase...

anyways...has anyone who's already received their 3g s experienced this--> IPhone 3G S plagued by sound issues? : Boy Genius Report ?...seems like it could get annoying...

are AT&T microcells out yet?
Heh, I dunno.

Jesus, are you in a null or something?

Nah, it literally occurs at the town line so it wouldn't surprise me if the town is anti-tower and that no one has coverage. But I was driving home going, "Maybe, just maybe, come on, one more mile..." *BANG* No Service.

And emelius, thanks for the advice on the case. I'll try the dusting trick for sure.

Back in September 08 I canceled my PDA data plan with Verizon (family plan/better service = keeping them) and got a "normal" phone for VZW. I took the money I saved from the $60/mo data plan (PDA and tethering) to get an iPhone 3G. I use it as my PDA/iPod and dumped the iPod Touch, so I still have to carry 2 devices - Moto KRZR and iPhone, instead of Moto Q/Touch.

I rarely use the iPhone for phone calls and have 3,042 minutes rolled over with my 450 min/mo plan! Only about 10-15 people know my 3G phone number and call or text me. So, I figure I'm not that attached to the old phone number, and can buy a 3GS for $299, notify those 15 people of the new number, and cancel the old one. I'll save $400 on the new phone (-) the $130 termination fee, since I can't upgrade the old 3G till 2/13/10.

So, I bought a new 3GS and added a line, but will cancel my old line in a few days and pay the early termination fee. And, since I switched to a family plan for a few days while the two phone numbers are running at the same time, ATT agreed to roll over my 3,042 minutes to that plan and to not change my contract date on the old 3G. Then I can give the 9 month old 3G to my wife who needs to buy her own phone for work but they will provide the SIM card - she says she has a choice of a Blackberry or iPhone which can work with their mail/contacts/calendar server.

Here's my questions - stuff I can't really ask the ATT people or they would get a clue about what I am doing.

1. (Assuming I want to keep my old phone number instead of the new one) Can I just cancel the new number once I am past the 30 days "buyer's remorse" guarantee, then pay the $170 termination fee, and keep the 3GS and my roll-over minutes, without having to pay the extra $400 that an un-subsidized phone would have cost?

2. On the other hand, if I stick with the original idea to cancel the old number, I could save $40 on the termination fee (fee drops by $5/month over the contract period) plus I could cut my monthly bill by $50-60 over the next 30 days if I cancel the original phone number sooner than later. They said it could take up to 72 hours for the roll over minutes to be credited to my family plan, so I have to wait at least that long. I assume that once the roll-over is credited back to my account that I can get them moved again later with a new plan? Is this what you guys would do?

I'm sitting in starfucks, after a 22 mile bike ride, typing this on my netbook (BT-tethered to the 3gs). At same time, iPhone is connected to netbook via usb,drawing 5V goodness; keeping it's battery charged. Technical symbiosis FTW. I'm just say'n...

Crikey, my parent's house is an AT&T deadzone as well. Once again, as close as a mile and you get 5 bars of at least Edge service. At least the map is right this time and shows the "no coverage" zone correctly.

Nate sorry to hear that, my house is in a zone that floats in and out of 3g and occasionally goes dead, I guess better than nothing.