Who believes HF will move ads back to the right side?

Jon L

Will HF move ads back to the right column?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Will HF move ads back to the right column?

• Yes
    • No
    • Get a life and buy 22" monitor
    • Use RIP (Remove It Permanently), stupid!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Advertising has increased over the years so there is not much hope. If they withdraw this something else will come instead. My only question is if advertising is for supporting the site or if users are necessary for the advertising revenue.

hm. RIP no work with Firefox 3 beta 5. Is there another equivalent for this version of firefox? Or Opera / IE7. I have 3 browers installed right now... don't know why yet- but having a plugin for any one of those browsers that does what RIP does would be nice.

I'm using FF3b5 too. So RIP can remove the whole frame?!

I'm using Adblock Plus to block a heck of a lot of images/banners on Head-Fi, but it'd be nice to be able to block some frames too:

Yup, with RIP, you can keep on right click on *anything* and go "remove it." I got the whole L side removed. Make sure to click "Remove permanently for this website" later.

I posted about RIP at HF and promptly got deleted. Jude PM'd to let me know he hopes I understand ::) Then again, he missed my "edit" to mention RIP in post #1, so I voluntarily removed it for him. My mama was wrong when she said I was no good :stick:

Yup, with RIP, you can keep on right click on *anything* and go "remove it." I got the whole L side removed. Make sure to click "Remove permanently for this website" later.

I posted about RIP at HF and promptly got deleted. Jude PM'd to let me know he hopes I understand ::) Then again, he missed my "edit" to mention RIP in post #1, so I voluntarily removed it for him. My mama was wrong when she said I was no good :stick:

Thanks for the tech tip. I didn't know about RIP.

I really don't get the idea of not being able to read a post because of some stuff off to the left. Then again I'm running a 25" monitor, so my opinion may be pointless.

24" here, though of course the leftside ads are a bastard on my iPhone, but I'm SOL there. still, i'm glad I learned about RIP in this thread, i've been playing with it.

I guess I hit the timing just right and caught your post about RIP. RIP makes me smile. Awesome add-on. I sent you a PM thanking you, but after reading some around here I wonder if you even got it. Anyway, thanks again. ;D

I don't really care all that much anymore, especially since my browsing of HF has decreased significantly of late.

I do wish the ad was on the left side, though. I don't know why since it doesn't really make much difference with my browser automatically resizing the forums panels.

I just opened HF in IE by mistake, oh my God! I can't believe the amount of ads and intrusive advertising crap they've got going on in their now.

I loathe having to delete internet history for the same reason. I'm not against someone trying to make a buck - I'd do the same thing - but they have crippled the site with bogged down load times. They also replaced the old smilies, and the new ones take curiously long to load in your response window. This is the exact way how not to run a website, imo. Not that my opinion means anything, but its pretty fucking ridiculous. Another major problem is its infrastructure is too graphic-intensive.

If I had never been to the site before, and came upon the homepage, I would leave immediately, its that bad.

I manage websites for over a dozen non-profit societies, and I know thats small potatoes, but our webpages load up almost instantaneously- even the ones with animations. And some of them serve quite a few scientists and researchers. The more dominant societies have ad space; all run off an unobtrusive javascript window on the right side, that is, for the most part, global. There are like 10 15kb images linked to their respective companies. It takes like a nanosecond to load.

Since Headfi pulls so much weight, they should just charge more money for less dedicated add space, and run 25% of what they have running now. They'd bring in the same money and have a much better website. Its stupid not to do this.