What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I overpaid so much last year that I owe nothing to the state and $506 to the Feds all the way through the first quarter of this year. The estimated tax safe harbor assumes an increase of 10% over the prior year and 2008 was the first year my income went down in 19 years as an attorney. Oh well, that money wouldn't have made any interest in the last few months anyway.

After a bit of trial and error I got my new Dell Mini 9 up and running with Windows 7. I am now proficient with the program VLite. I installed FOOBAR, dbPoweramp, uTorrent, Zune, Firefox, and mp3Tag and I still have 3GB free on the 8GB SSD (32GB SDHC coming). Upgraded the RAM to 2GB as well. Nice little unit, I am liking it. Runs W7 very well, aero and all.

Also finally got the rest of my new travertine tile floors sealed. Next weekend I can put the baseboard back on. The animals are all locked outside so they won't track sealer onto the new carpet. They don't understand what's going on, they usually have free access in and out through the cat door and this is the first time it has been locked.

fs70.gif

Starting from 12 AM: strip club, drove an hour back to campus, played Super Smash Bros. on Wii, slept, woke up, ate pasta, played DDR for a few hours, shot some hoops, played some raquetball. I <3 weekends.

Not today, but yesterday. Didn't even realize it til a little bit ago, but I was by the Solutions Wall/Elliot Smith Memorial. Walked into solutions audio ( a/v repair shop ) to take a look around. The owner came out to talk to me and my friends that I was visiting in LA. Went for a little over an hour (til closing time and they had to clean up) about Chinese history/people and politics in general, with some crazy/amazing tie ins to music-- all the while promoting that the Chinese should get along with each other regardless where they're from/political feelings (Taiwan & China issue).

Pretty interesting guy, actually did not get to talk much audio. I did ask about grados since I saw a few in there, and was told that he modded them. Kind of curious, but I don't own grados anymore. One of my friends who went with me does, might bug him to visit again with his 80s.

Taxes. Federal was OK, but state hurt.

Same here, NYC and NYS are killers. And I spent part of '08 working in NJ, so I owed them a bit, too. Fuckers. And the mortgage deduction doesn't really help as much as I hoped when I was rationalizing the decision to buy an apartment.

As for today, spent the last several hours cleaning out my parents' basement. There's a certain pathology to the relationship between Irish-Americans and their basements.

Happy Easter.

Taxes. Federal was OK, but state hurt.

Good news, Uncle Sam owes us $13K. Bad news, only because of far larger capital losses we were forced to realize. Worse news, the effective rate on the largest component of our income is slated to jump by 20% next year.