What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worked on my longest running DIY project, how to cram an amp into a Koss ESP10 energizer chassis. Not easy but it will be some form of the differential amp (ECC83's and 7n7's) with the old KGSS psu (i.e. what PCB I had at hand). Should be a cool little balanced amp if I ever finish it (2+ years and counting now)... :palm:

I would've liked it for my ESP10, just for the sake of having the complete set. But I've already lopped off the stock plug so it's too late to go back. I'd have been interested in any insights on modding you might've developed, other than using O2 pads. I know the SR-5 pads work and I hear the Denon pads also work, both being a cheaper option. Those JMoney Denon pads look interesting as well.

I wonder if they can be put in a Lambda shell.. :o But nah, once I took out the foam and the plastic circle things it got a lot less echoey and it's pretty much fully open now so the stock enclosure should be fine. I think I might play around with the stock damping (the thick wad of felt and tissue paper) and swapping caps. Not sure I'd go as far as just removing them.

They won't fit in a Lambda chassis but I'm sure Smeggy could make something for you if you asked nicely. :) Without retracing the rather odd E-10 circuit it is hard to know why the caps are there. Probably some compensation but with Koss, you can never be sure.

I'm sitting at the airport too Shelly. Just got through the massive hassle caused by me seeing if there was an earlier flight I could catch. The ever helpful folks at US airways said yes and booked the flight which would have got me out of here an hour earlier. Of course what they didn't say was that it would get me home a half hour later. Several phone calls and supervisor later I'm back on my original flight. Ugh.

Today was a compilation of irritation and ill-will. Everything broke today. Mouse, keyboard, monitor, broadband. I spent many unproductive hours on that last one. And thank The Dude I keep a spare old NEC flatscreen. Had really bad indigestion after breakfast, had crap soup for lunch and chewy meatballs for tea. Learned nothing of importance in the studious hours during which a ring binder spilled its contents onto the floor, the pages scattering like some sort of horrible cubist milk. Oh yeah, and cut myself shaving for the first time in as long as I can remember.

Humbug.

Today was a compilation of irritation and ill-will. Everything broke today. Mouse, keyboard, monitor, broadband. I spent many unproductive hours on that last one. And thank The Dude I keep a spare old NEC flatscreen. Had really bad indigestion after breakfast, had crap soup for lunch and chewy meatballs for tea. Learned nothing of importance in the studious hours during which a ring binder spilled its contents onto the floor, the pages scattering like some sort of horrible cubist milk. Oh yeah, and cut myself shaving for the first time in as long as I can remember.

Humbug.

Take a nap, and hopefully things will be better when you awake.