What did you do today?

riceboy

Received a job offer for a position in Maryland. Anyone have tips on a cross-country move?

Aimless1: that's a difficult decision to make :(

Hell yeah Maryland. We have uh.. crabs. Except they're not really from here anymore. And I don't mean the STDs, though I'm sure we have that, too. You should come to the March meet in VA. In regards to moving, it sucks and I'd take the easy way out, eg throwing away or selling the crap I didn't need, to make the load lighter and the move easier.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much stuff do you have? Where from? California? Eegad. DC area is about the same as San Diego, cost of living -wise, without the sea breeze. Let's start with that. How decent is the job offer? What do you do?

To be honest I don't have too much stuff, the bulkiest part would be my test lab and computers. I recently got out of the military so most of my stuff such as clothes are still in their moving boxes, though I have no furniture to speak of that's my own. Hopefully, that will make moving a simpler affair. The job offer is decent, with the most attractive parts being that they'll help pay for education and certs along with the fact that they're going to transfer my security clearance over. I'm a Windows Sysadmin that's hoping to get my civilian career started and the offer looks like a good way to do that and finish off my bachelor's.

On topic post: I drove back down to Southern California from Sacramento today, nice and sunny on the way down as opposed to the rain and snow on the way up.

Win. Went for breakfast with Nate and by the time I got home the wife had taken the kids out. So well fed and settling in for some nice peaceful speaker listening. :)

Obviously I started my day the same way, stopped by Todd/skullguise's on the way home to pick up moar stuffs and then got home in time to put Lily down for a nap. Now trying to deal with all the stuffs and clean up my work and storage area in preparation for operation: QUAD. In other words a Sunday full of win so far.

Jin, let me know when you want me to send out the router.

Between yesterday and this morning, I have successfully tossed or donated two carloads of crappola that had somehow found a way into my closets and drawers over the past couple years. I clearly have poor taste and no common sense from looking at this stuff. Sadly, I don't even remember buying most of it. Must remember this moment before I ever head out shopping again.

Celebrated my girlfriend/Baby Mama's birthday today. She's complaining about getting so old (27). I really feel for her. Spent some time with her family and watched some mindless crap on TV. Awesome jerk chicken though, so that part was good. The flowers that I got for her have totally taken over the house with their sweet but overpowering smell. Now I can't wait for them to die, dry up, and quit giving me headaches.

Finished the day off yesterday by doing a massive amount of cleaning and organizing in the DIY section of the house. I also spent a while installing the newest member of the Nugget Audio family and yes, I realize that given the state of my workbench it seems impossible to imagine that I did any cleaning/organizing.

121381848.jpg

I'm going to build a small scale flexy to sit on top of the table that will serve as both an equipment stand and also speaker stands. Already, it's clear to me why people love these monitors even with just the SB3 as the source.

Just unpacked bunch of educational science equipment for work/school we purchased through a grant. Much to my surprise, included in the first batch of stuff was a Lego Mindstorm - I really didn't think the item would get approved.

It didn't get approved. It was a figment of everyone else's imagination. You'd better take it home before people see it and get confused......