What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accepted a job offer on the other coast. Looks like I get to rejoin the ranks of the employed soon :)

Congrats on the new job.

Worked, bought a bunch of new vinyl, and ordered some new tubes overnight. Go in for surgery at 5:30 A.M. and I'll be down for at least two weeks. This way have new vinyl and tubes to play with during my down time. :-)

Good luck, Tom.

difficult day just got more difficult. death in the family. :/

My condolences to you and your family.

Test drove an '07 Hummer H2 SUT that a friend of mine is selling.

I honestly thought I'd like it a lot more than I did. It wasn't that I didn't like it, but it wasn't the "buzz" that I thought it would be. Just a big and clunky box and not particularly responsive to driver inputs.

Besides,

1) he's asking too much,

2) it's a totally impractical vehicle in Cayman where the roads are narrow and parking spots are even narrower,

3) it costs KYD 1,000 = USD 1,250 per year to register a Hummer, whereas other SUVs like my Ford Edge that it would replace are only KYD 185 per year to register, and

4) my nuts aren't so small that I need a phallic symbol to feel good about myself.

I think this is essentially what he's learned as well. (Don't know about his nuts though.)

There are a lot of H2's up here and nobody wants them. They corrode quite badly and are very badly made. If you want a large SUV, get a Range Rover. It's so far ahead of all the others that it isn't even funny.

My dad went through pretty much large SUV made in the last 5 years and settled on a Range Rover V8 Tdi Vogue Autobiography and absolutely loves it. Before he got it he thought it was just an expensive toy but boy was he proven wrong... :D Cheap to run too, about 12l/100km and goes like stink for something this heavy.

I hope your Dad can do his own maintenance, because Range Rovers and Landies are not known for trouble-free operation!

There isn't much you can do with these cars without being able to access the built in computers so DIY is pretty much out. Even in the harsh climate here (i.e. a constant salt bath) they have been pretty trouble free and no worse off then the BMW's, Merc's, Porsche's, Audi's which are quite a lot of here. The service for RR's is also excellent here since more cars were sold to Iceland then all of Scandinavia combined... :D

. o O I'd rather have a Unimog than any stinking Hummer. Failing that, a Gelandewagen.

A 1953 Unimog came up for sale recently. It was serial #25, making it the oldest 404 in the US. I have a friend who's got the skills to work on it, but she (yes, she) is recovering from back surgery and is busy completing a double science major. I couldn't have afforded it anyway, unless I discontinued a few other things (like every other aspect of my life, including eating). I did save a picture of it:

289dc0o.jpg

15nsp4w.jpg