What did you do today?

riceboy

...kinda wish I'd sprung for that EF-S 10-22mm superwide zoom for APS-C cropped sensors.

Oooh, I've been wanting to try that lens out. I like my EF 35mm, but at full frame equivalent of 56mm, I've had few occasions now in which I had something wider. I've thus far resisted the temptation to rent one, though, since I'm afraid I might end up liking it.

As for what I did today, did some more gardening and planted few things in my vegetable garden. In the process, got bit by damn mosquitoes numerous times as I hate putting on bug repellent.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continental is headquartered in Houston. They have about 16,000 employees in Houston. They have a hub in Houston which means direct flights on Continental to almost any major city in the US and many direct flights overseas. With the merger (since they are the smaller airline), Continental will be lost forever as part of United. I assume/hope UA-CO will keep the hub in Houston for access to Latin and South America but I assume that many of the direct flights will become flight with a layover in Denver, etc. If too many the (direct flight) routes are canceled/unscheduled, Houston could lose businesses. Worst case scenario for me: some faculty members spouses (not in academics) need to relocate and hence we lose some good faculty members in our department and/or at Rice. Almost surely, I am being paranoid.

Basically, I am just upset because I really do love flying on Continental (good customer service, decent planes, etc.) but have had less than stellar experiences on United the last times I have flown with them. It makes me sad to see them go.

Joanne and I, decided to play tourist again and head over to Napa - the town, rather than the valley.

Forearmed with some research on chowhound and Yelp, we decided to hit Boon Fly Caf on the way in.

Joanne went for the Eggs Benedict, with thick salty ham, and jalapeno hollandaise sauce.

l

I went for the breakfast flatbread with bacon, eggs and caramelized onions

l

But we ended up sharing anyway - an Ideal combination.

Then onwards to Napa itself. We had a look round the new riverside development, and concurred with this article Morimoto in Napa - San Francisco Bay Area - Chowhound

A housing bubble burst and a recession is probably the wrong time for such a thing. Plenty of "For Lease" signs in prime downtown store locations ....

Went over to the Oxbow Public Market Napa CA , but it too could do with being busier, add to that the wrangle over the Taylors Automatic Refresher now having a different name Sudden Name Change of Historic Taylor's Refresher in St. Helena Outrages Family - Forbes.com all interesting stuff.

We did however notice the local library was having a book sale, and had a good old browse, leaving with a bag stuffed with books for only $2.50! score!

Not a bad day all in all. Weather was sunny and up in the high seventies. What more could you want :)

*Photos from yelp for illustrative purposes only

All this talk of work benches, I wish I'd taken a picture of mine before I started loading up the workshop. I might still be able to before I move the rest in tomorrow. There's not quite enough room for me to get it all in frame. ...kinda wish I'd sprung for that EF-S 10-22mm superwide zoom for APS-C cropped sensors.

If you want to have a look at mine (the workbench, that is ;)), there are links to pics on the woodworking types: old lumber thread

You know, in Beer Wars, they showed that Hoegaarden got bought by the big bad -- why do you guys still buy that shit? I thought we didn't give money to Anheuser-Busch/InBev?

A little late, but I sadly quit buying hoegaarden the day I watched beer wars. And a lot of other beers.

v n nhj i7n mjbyuh nmy nh./, oiuljk ,njm n

That is my 5-month old assistant typing. Long story, but he's mine for the day. So far, his skill set involves ripping paper, drooling on the keybord, smashing at it with great joy, and thunderous, stinking farting. I think we'll get along just fine.

Joanne and I, decided to play tourist again and head over to Napa - the town, rather than the valley.

Forearmed with some research on chowhound and Yelp, we decided to hit Boon Fly Caf on the way in.

Joanne went for the Eggs Benedict, with thick salty ham, and jalapeno hollandaise sauce.

l

I went for the breakfast flatbread with bacon, eggs and caramelized onions

l

But we ended up sharing anyway - an Ideal combination.

Hungry now, and I really want to pile those jalapeno eggs benedict on top of that pizza, roll the whole thing up and eat it like a hoagie. :drool:

Such a cute assistant you have there Vicki! Did he consent to your touching him in that manner? HR might have a harassment claim to contend with. :P

Edited by Voltron

Such a cute assistant you have there Vicki! Did he consent to your touching him in that manner? HR might have a harassment claim to contend with. :P

Well, he could have certainly been written up for inappropriate grabbing/mouthing of my breasts, and after being denied, taking out his frustration by pulling my hair viciously while squealing. I'd say we're even. All and all, though, it was a strange, fun day at work, and I was surprisingly productive. I'm not exactly the maternal sort, but every now and then, it's nice to have a wee one around to remind you that you're not even being close to being the Queen of the Universe, that there are more important things than answering the phone on the first ring, rasberries on the belly are good, doing the twist is fun, and bouncy chairs are the best.

His father just picked him up, so he's done for the day. His mother and nanny are sick, so I may have him one more day. It's kinda cool that my workplace lets families put their kids first in emergencies, and having him here was viewed as a good thing by my bosses. It was a nice day.