What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really glad to know that all's okay, laxx.

Got pulled into running an experiential group today (family sculpturing), something I've tried to avoid because although I know how to do that kind of thing, it's definitely not my strength, and I have a pretty hefty bad attitude about the perceived benefit of such therapy, outside of trauma work, for most adults in general. Afterwards, got told it's now to be a regular Friday group for me. Blech on soooo many levels.

I'm going to listen to some music, hopefully mellow out, and get to sleep early tonight. Big day tomorrow starting at 6AM. Hoping to raise some money and have fun with kids.

Spent another combined 3 hours trying to solder a Wpi plug onto the farking shittyass ESP10 cable. Does anyone know of a way to somehow make shitty weak brittle stranded copper wire stronger so I can actually jam it through the pins on the plug and solder in what should be/have been a 5 minute job?

glad to hear all is well laxx.

me, today, I got a truck... hand me down 1993 Toyota pickup (I'm sure truck people will have something to say about that). Now, for tomorrow.... get better at that pesky 1st gear thing...

34 years old... can't drive stick... you can laugh now.

:doghuh::sadcat:

Forgot to mention that they don't tin at all by themselves. I was using some bare solid copper wire as a rod to solder the stranded wires to, and then I'd push the whole thing through the pins, which worked in the sense that the wires finally stuck to the rod. But didn't work in the sense that the wires are just too damn weak/brittle and snap off with the slightest movement in the wrong direction.

As I type this, a spider is walking across the laptop.

Yeah, I might need to just scrap this cable and steal a pro bias ribbon cable from one of my Lambdas to solder on. Annoying.

Forgot to mention that they don't tin at all by themselves. I was using some bare solid copper wire as a rod to solder the stranded wires to, and then I'd push the whole thing through the pins, which worked in the sense that the wires finally stuck to the rod. But didn't work in the sense that the wires are just too damn weak/brittle and snap off with the slightest movement in the wrong direction.

As I type this, a spider is walking across the laptop.

Yeah, I might need to just scrap this cable and steal a pro bias ribbon cable from one of my Lambdas to solder on. Annoying.

Strip about an inch of each conductor, take a lighter to the wire and burn off the enamel coating and then tin the wire. To solder the plugs I push the conductor through the plug and then insert solder through the top ( I always have some 0.031" Kester around for this purpose) and heat the side of the pin until the solder starts flowing. Then I continue to feed solder into the pin until it is pretty much full.

i got some shit done at work that needed doing. i finally replaced the hard drive in my iMac. i played around with my new camera and lens (that i love, love, love). i hung out with a good friend. all in all, not a bad day.

They don't make it easy to get in there... I've done the same with my iMac. Mac minis are a little better, but not by much.

The other day while driving we saw a guy riding a bike toward us, making a right as we were making a left. To our astonishment, we saw what looked to be a child sitting in a basket above the handlebar. "That couldn't be a kid, could it?" we said. As we passed, extra cautiously, we saw that in fact it was a child-sized doll. The guy looked rather unkempt. We simultaneously marveled at both his creepiness and his ingenuity--what better way to make people notice your bike and not run you over than to put a fake toddler in the basket above your handlebar? On the drive back from the grocery store we passed him again at that very same intersection, and that's when we noticed his fluorescent orange construction vest. This guy was hardcore for safety. There's a possibility that he was homeless, which makes me a little sad, but I'm glad he has a strong sense for best bicycle practices.

I just finished my morning HC read when I got a call that the proofing room in the bakery was leaking quite a bit of water. Not wanting to waste a shit load of cash by calling the repair guys on a Saturday I decided to try and DIY a fix for it. After some disassembly it turned out to be a small 2$ plastic piece (often used to secure cable entries and make them watertight) that was broken. 15 minutes later I had it replaced and bought a spare just in case it would ever fail again. :) Being in in a good mood I decided to give the car a much needed spring cleaning. Took 3 hours but it's nice and shiny now.