What did you do today?

riceboy

Flew, a lot. Currently sitting in a Marriott in Honolulu for a week of classes at Pearl Harbor. So far so good, Teddy's Bigger Burgers is probably a place that Justin would like. Now if I could just get past the idea that my head thinks it's almost 1AM but the clock says 7:45pm...

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flew, a lot. Currently sitting in a Marriott in Honolulu for a week of classes at Pearl Harbor. So far so good, Teddy's Bigger Burgers is probably a place that Justin would like. Now if I could just get past the idea that my head thinks it's almost 1AM but the clock says 7:45pm...
I can think of worse places to be than Hawaii in November. That's, like, my favorite place on earth that I've ever been.

I used to travel to Hawaii (for work) a lot -- I never had a problem going there -- just went to bed when I felt like it (8pm) the first night, and I was good to go. Of course, I was a lot younger then.

The hard part is coming back. Zombie for a day, pretty much. I started taking the red-eye back, just because it wasn't worth it not to. So: last day of work == Friday, red-eye == Friday night/Saturday morning; stay up all day Saturday (maybe take a nap), then go to bed early Saturday night. YMMV, etc.

I forget where it is, but there's a killer Italian-type place in the center of town...they have this thing like garlic bread, except it's knots. I forget what they're called, and where they are, but I want to say it was near a mall. (does a little bit of googling) Yeah, that looks right. It looks like nothing more than an Olive Garden, but I remember liking it. Worth trying, if you can get to it.

yep. i needed a new prescription, anyway. that sucks. how deep is the scratch?

Deep enough to be a visual irritation. The damned domestic plant watering can had been put on the shelf (um - not by me) with the metal sprinkler rose sticking out. It was that that got me. Suppose I ought to be thankful that I was wearing specs - would sure have made a mess of my corneas.

I used one of those packets of active dry yeast. The directions for the bread maker called for active dry yeast (no proofing mentioned) so I figured it didn't rise because the yeast had an "best by" date of Nov 09. Guess I haven't done much baking in a while. Do you recommend always proofing first even for a bread machine? I don't really want to use the "instant" bread machine yeast. I suppose I should make real bread in an oven. I suck at baking.

I just use regular dried yeast in my Panasonic. Works fine (provided the yeast is not too old; I had an old pack I tried to use up first off before buying new stuff). I can't make the extra large loaf size because it rises so much it hits the inside of the lid, so now only make the large size setting. I now get through a pack of yeast every two weeks - so now there is no expiry problem.

Today was the one real day off of the week here so Ian and I (he's on this training trip as well, what a racket) toured most of O'ahu via car and then swung by Ford Island which is where our class is being held. We decided to see if the 'Mo was still open and we got in just in time for a quick half-hour guided tour which was great. I originally wanted to do the Arizona tour as well but they say to budget at least 4hrs for that for both the tour and just waiting to do the tour which isn't an option given the compressed schedule the rest of the week.

The drive around the island was definitely a good call, the break on the North Shore today was running 15+ and was incredibly impressive.

2010-11-15_12-38-42_233.jpg

Dusty: Kumho Solus KH16

(I assumed 2006 aerio sx wagon)

Hey, how do I determine if a tire is bidirectional? Does 'symmetric tread design' mean the same thing? (I want to make sure I can rotate my tires amongst all wheel positions, not just the ones on the same side.)

(Question not directed at Grawk, but at anyone who can answer.)

Yes, I am only now getting around to this.

Hey, how do I determine if a tire is bidirectional? Does 'symmetric tread design' mean the same thing? (I want to make sure I can rotate my tires amongst all wheel positions, not just the ones on the same side.)

I'm almost sure those KH16s are non-directional/symmetric; you can put those in any wheel position without worrying about facing front/back.

I believe it would usually NOT state 'directional' in the specs. Plus there would NOT be an arrow on the side of the tire telling you which way the tires should roll. I don't usually see specs that specifically state 'bidirectional', because tires are usually bidirectional unless stated otherwise.

I don't think 'symmetrical' is quite the same - this refers more to the tire pattern being the same back and forth across the tire. But I'd think most non-directional tires would have to be symmetrical, wouldn't it?

I don't think 'symmetrical' is quite the same - this refers more to the tire pattern being the same back and forth across the tire. But I'd think most non-directional tires would have to be symmetrical, wouldn't it?
Actually, I think it's exactly the same, because all the tires usually say something about symmetry or directionality, but not necessarily both.

EDIT: But I will admit, this confuses me:

NOTE: While initially appearing somewhat directional, the Fuzion VRi tread design is asymmetric, allowing it to be mounted on either side of the vehicle.
Edited by Dusty Chalk