What did you do today?

riceboy

In my quest to see as many ancient rock stars as I can before they all die off...
I made the following joke on another forum (crf2 -- it may interest you if you're into classic rock -- feel free to tell them I sent you), after a particular large batch of classic rockers died -- that's the danger of being a fan of classic rock.

Jean-Michel Jarre?!?!? One of my concerts that I must see before I die (or he dies). Wouldn't mind Vangelis and/or Mike Oldfield, neither, myself.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woke up groggy after the time zone shift. Went to work. Found massive incompetence. Had long conversation with boss about massive incompetence. Got yearly review. Fixed some of the massive incompetence. Dealt with clients and landed some more work for incompetent team mates. Started planning a 1 day trip back to Ann Arbor MI for work. Yay!

Edit: Congrats all on all the Anniversaries. Yesterday was 5 years from when I proposed to my wife (we had Mexican in the Denver airport to celebrate :)) Bummer on the teaching job for your wife Al. I was a prof for a while and thought I wanted to go back but now I'm interacting more with profs from the other side I'm done with the academic environment I think. Maybe I will teach a few classes sometime or something.

Edited by Dreadhead

I made the following joke on another forum (crf2 -- it may interest you if you're into classic rock -- feel free to tell them I sent you), after a particular large batch of classic rockers died -- that's the danger of being a fan of classic rock.

Jean-Michel Jarre?!?!? One of my concerts that I must see before I die (or he dies). Wouldn't mind Vangelis and/or Mike Oldfield, neither, myself.

I took my 21 year old daughter to see Jarre - I snagged tickets right in the middle of the front row of the 13,000 seat National Indoor Arena in Birmingham UK. Great to be so close to the action, but crap for the light show. Daughter said, after Jarre's typical spectacular entrance "Oooh - he's cute" to which I said "Oooh - he's six years older than me!". He clearly dyes his hair at least, and there is certainly some botox and maybe more going on to hold his face in place and make him look 35 and not 60. But an amazing show, all played on a total of 35 keyboards of various and irreplacable vintage.

I'm not sure how Oldfield works in concert, since all of his recordings are just him multitracked. VanGelis would be a good one to see though.

It's mostly just him on guitar with supporting musicians playing all other parts, with him "conducting":

YouTube - Mike Oldfield Man In the rain

Still -- wish he would tour the states. Vangelis is a little harder -- he hardly ever plays live any more. The last one (I think) was Mythodea -- him playing keyboards and "conducting":

Nothing like the spectacle of JMJ (I have several of his live DVD's). But still -- the three of them are probably 3 of the 4 most influential musicians on me, musically, and I've seen Wakeman.

Craig, congratulations on seeing Jarre. It sounds like a great show. Amen on seeing Vangelis sometime.

Al, sorry about Claire's teaching troubles. That's got to be frustrating as hell.

What I did today (yesterday): melt in excessive heat and sunshine. The locals enjoyed it - Britain basks in hot weather, but it won't last | UK news | guardian.co.uk - but Kristiana and I just wilted in it, for most of the past week. Which seems weird since we're both native Californians, but we really do do a lot better in chilly fog and gloom.

So I did manage to get my receiver working late last night. Turns out "TV", "BD" "Video 1", "Video 2" all go to component type inputs by default.

Plus I had been only toggling through HDMI inputs 1 & 2, while my stuff was on inputs 3 & 4. :palm:

Even with insignia speakers, man what a huge improvement. There's a mic that auto calibrates everything, but I haven't bothered with anything fancy yet, it was a big enough deal to simply get the cable working.

The one nice thing about insigias is I dont feel like I even need a subwoofer.

Curiously, the stickers that come on the receiver claim the amp to provide 140 watts x7, but online its reported as 130 x 7 on sony's site, and 120x7 on engadget.

I'm hopefully going to wall-mount my screen today, which will center everything properly and let me extend the width of my speakers. I should have bought this thing a long time ago :)

Running myself ragged again. Too much to do and I'm too shagged to do it. Copying a bazillion files between 5 drives on 3 computers.

Was given a set of HE-5LE by Fang :confused:

Soooo, yeah..

Guess he heard about the LCD-2 and hoped to even the playing field.