What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took my family out after work for dinner at one of my favorite seafood places (place called Joe Fish, and had Bayou Catfish, real good!).

Reason was a bonus I got at work for a project I and 2 others - the core of a larger team - have implemented. Made a real nice difference to internal and even some external customers. Nice to be recognized, but the BS all around REALLY has to stop, people are pretty miserable.....

i wish i got bonuses. then again, my employer matches my 403B contributions at 140%, so maybe it works out :)
So you're maxed out, right? That's pretty sweet right there. I feel fortunate if I get 50% (which I don't -- my employer does things differently -- if you're in the program at all, they match as much as they're going to).

Me: wrote most of a report of my project of the last few months -- anticipating it being cut off and a new one started as of next week. I won't say I was almost done, but I really do wish I was a lot further than I am with my part.

You don't like being cold, from that power draw, or there is no insulation.

my building doesnt have insulation. i noticed this when they drilled through the walls to install the new HVAC. it's brick and cinderblock, dont see anything inbetween. but i am also partially underground which helps

Took my family out after work for dinner at one of my favorite seafood places (place called Joe Fish, and had Bayou Catfish, real good!).

Reason was a bonus I got at work for a project I and 2 others - the core of a larger team - have implemented. Made a real nice difference to internal and even some external customers. Nice to be recognized, but the BS all around REALLY has to stop, people are pretty miserable.....

congrats on the bonus. I've gotten one of varying size every year I've worked at my current job but I can't even tell co-workers because apparently most/all of them believe that the company doesn't give bonuses. I'm not complaining but it's weird that they don't make it more public when they reward people but I'm not going to rub it in anyone's face.

Spent the day at Bletchley Park trying to get just about the planet's only Lorenz SZ42 cipher maching working. This is the machine that triggered the invention of the electronic computer (Colossus) to break the codes, and this particular one was Feldmarchal Kesselring's during the Normandy landings. The only other complete example is in the National Crypographic Museum in Maryland. Only around 200 were ever made, and were used exclusively for communication between the field commanders, and between them and Hitler's bunker.

Restored it about 8 years ago, but in the meantime the 70 year old mains wiring had got leaky, so was tripping the earth leakage breaker. Sorted that out with temporary rewiring, and then the mains transformer developed a short in one of the windings, and the transformer got very hot very quick. I'd already had it remanufactured since the original had an open winding - so I guess I'm in for a conversation with the transformer suppliers to get another made (after they have diagnosed the reason for the problem). Easy to get one remade, since Lorenz used what became a standard ISO lamination size!