What did you do today?

riceboy

You don't want pictures, trust me. I didn't look all that good before, and now I resemble an uncircumsized penis from behind (so: worse...unless you're into that, of course).

The reason I'm going to start telling my co-workers: I'm a hair-farmer, it was harvest time.

And yes, really not looking forward to the summer, purely a hunch, but it feels like it's going to be a bad one. Also: time -- can go straight to bed after shower, more or less. Also, allergens have less to get trapped onto. Also...just felt like it. Almost did it last year, chickened out. Now I need to find someone who will take my clippings for the gulf.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was le tired, so I had a nap. Now I must fire ze missiles prepare to do lights in a nightclub tonight. It's a "local heroes" night, which means there will be a hoard of reggae, dubstep and dnb DJs (none of whom I particularly like). It's events like this that pay for things like last weekend's madness, however.

Congratulations Stephen!

I had a great f'n day. A good friend asked me to meet him for a drink. When I got there he told me he lost his job and that he was diagnosed 3 years ago with Parkinsons. I knew something was wrong but never asked as I figured that if I was right he obviously would have told me so I kept my mouth shut figuring he would tell me when he was ready. He is lucky as it has not progressed much since he was diagnosed. He and his family are such good people. I ended up offering him money as I knew it was an issue. I wish there was more I can do for them.

That sucks, Mike. I hope he bounces back and stays healthy but you're a mensch for offering to help.

Stephen, I am proud of you, man. I thought you might crack having a baby daughter and now you have a house too! You are really growing up. :) I wish you and your family many happy and healthy years in your home.

I am finally flying back to Cali after a hell of a week in the Big Apple. I averaged about 4 hours of sleep a night between work and jet lag, and had a cough that interrupted what little sleep I was getting. Glad to be going home but know that my wife's ever-shrinking teaching job will be a focus of the evening. I feel so bad that she is getting caught in the screwed up California budget drama. As of today, she only has 2 classes for next Fall out of a normal load of 4-5. One of those is something she hasn't taught so it involves a whole new prep (lots of work). The drama and politics are sill shifting and unresolved so who knows.

BTW, we are having a lot of heavy turbulence right now, so if Virgin American flt 25 goes down, JP, Mike or Gene need to tell Claire I was thinking about her...

Agree on the A2s boom, but more like a mid-bass bloom, sort of soft, poofy, and very there. I found it very annoying at first, but I'm gotten used to it, and since I just use them at work and at a very low volume, they're okay.

have you guys tried the plastic sloping stands? Monkey said they sound better on the stands, I do believe him.

Doing lights in the biggest club in NoHo, which is a lot less exciting than it sounds. It's not even 11:30 and the dnb DJs are slinging the temper tantrum techstep like it's going out of style (which hopefully it is.) There was an MC in here, who was so bad I was seriously considering putting my lighting rig on autopilot and going out to smoke a backwoods. In fact, I think I might do that anyway....

As an aside, when I smoke Backwords cigars at events that attract WASPafarians and other would-be Rastas, I invariably get questioned "Is that a blunt" or "yo, let me get a hit." One of these days, I'm going actually let them do that and watch the coughing fit ensue. :indra:

have you guys tried the plastic sloping stands? Monkey said they sound better on the stands, I do believe him.
I have them. Perhaps they help somewhat but IMO they don't outright change the character of the A2s which is still far too bloomy/mushy for my taste.

I have them. Perhaps they help somewhat but IMO they don't outright change the character of the A2s which is still far too bloomy/mushy for my taste.

Looking at the frequency response from here there's definitely a bit of a hump around 150hz which is what you're probably hearing. Have you tried plugging/blocking the port? Perhaps with a piece of tape? There's a chance it'll kill off too much bass, but might be worth a try.

1207aenfig5.jpg

Red line indicates the nearfield responses of the port.

I'm with you shelly, the A5's are great!

Stephen ... congrats on a successful move (literally and figuratively) into home ownership. Abi has lots to explore and make her own.

Mike ... bummer about your friend. You are a rock for being there for him.

Al ... glad hell week is over, but that's why you get the big bucks. Trust you made it home, but if not, swoop down and tap me on the shoulder, and I'll do what I can to put your affairs in order. Sorry that Claire is at the mercy of the f'd up gov't and their inability to manage money.

Looking at the frequency response from here there's definitely a bit of a hump around 150hz which is what you're probably hearing. Have you tried plugging/blocking the port? Perhaps with a piece of tape? There's a chance it'll kill off too much bass, but might be worth a try.

1207aenfig5.jpg

Red line indicates the nearfield responses of the port.

I'm with you shelly, the A5's are great!

It looks like they have the reflex alignment wrong - it should be possible to get the response quite flat (4th order Butterworth or Bessel or any one of a myriad of others).

That said, the problem with bass reflex (or ported boxes) is that they store resonant energy in the air within the port - it is an extra mass/spring system - and to my taste they all sound boomy to a greater or lesser extent as compared with a dipole or sealed box. But if you are trying to get extended bass out of a small box and small speaker, and not run into driver excursion limits, they are about the only game in town.

Luckily, the plane landed safely but I crashed hard as soon as I got home. Now dealing with the dog's never-ending foxtail in the foot injury, and going to a wedding tonight that will be a trip. Second marriage for both of them, and one is an artist and one is a composer of modern operas. Should be quite the spectacle.