What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al, holy crap, glad you made it home safely. I hope you were joking about the turbulence, if not I can imagine the nightmare ride that must have been. Sorry to hear about Claire's work related issues California is really beginning to suck as an economy and a place to live.

Mike, sorry to hear about your friend, I hope the rest of his support group is as good as you are to him.

Mike, who the hell eats all that barbecue you make? It seems like every weekend you are preparing some huge feast, are you doing food catering on the side or something? :D

As for us, we will be attending a charity fund raising concert to benefit a local family whose two teenage sons have a fatal degenerative disease. It is a very sad feeling to look into the eyes of a teenage boy you are talking to knowing that most likely in five years they will not be around to do what young people are supposed to do- live life and grow up.

Morning spent looking at a car for my newest son-in-law. Meh.

Split firewood. Packed some things from the trailer to take back home. Making the transition from mobile traveling to season lease camping.

Celebrating our 34th anniversary tonight. It's been a good 34 years :ian::-*:laugh:

Yes, congratulations on the wedding anniversaries.

All this knife talk going on around here has motivated me to sharpen my daily knives. Right now I am getting very frustrated being unable to get a shaving edge on this crappy Henckels. The Shun is up next since I noticed the tip is dull while the the middle is relatively sharp. :confused: Not sure how I managed to do that. If I can't get the Shun to shaving sharpness for tomorrow's BBQ I will definitely throw a fit and destroy something in the kitchen.

Went to a friend's daughter's bat mitzvah today. He has a nice family. The Little Monkey is with his grandparents in East Hampton, so it's time for the adults to go out to dinner!

It's kind of neat how every culture seems to have a sort of coming of age type of thing for thirteen year olds and especially girls. Our Indian friends had this three hour long dance/music recital their daughters had to do, our other friend's daughters had the bat mitzvahs, the Mexican culture here has the Quinceanera, Catholics have Confirmation and in West Virginia it's the second wedding anniversary.

Al, glad to hear you made it back safely. Sounds like a pretty crazy trip. I assume Claire has some sort of academic position? Adjunct? Universities have been hit pretty hard, especially in Cali. That is too bad.

Mike, who the hell eats all that barbecue you make? It seems like every weekend you are preparing some huge feast, are you doing food catering on the side or something? :D

Exactly what I was thinking. :)

Sorry about your friend Mike.

Congrats Aimess and bhjazz!

Yes, congratulations on the wedding anniversaries.

All this knife talk going on around here has motivated me to sharpen my daily knives. Right now I am getting very frustrated being unable to get a shaving edge on this crappy Henckels. The Shun is up next since I noticed the tip is dull while the the middle is relatively sharp. :confused: Not sure how I managed to do that. If I can't get the Shun to shaving sharpness for tomorrow's BBQ I will definitely throw a fit and destroy something in the kitchen.

Happy Anniversary Aimless and bhjazz!

Greg, no catering but I do go out of my way to find excuses to bbq for the family and friends.

Wow Aimless, I'm celebrating my 21st anniversay tonight as well. For us, it's also bee a good 21 years, in spite of all the crap life throws at people.

Congrats to you!

Congrats, aimless and bhjazz! My parents are celebrating their 52nd anniversary in a couple days, and they still like each other. It's nice to celebrate that.

Birthdays come whether you enjoy them or not. Each anniversary is fully earned and worthy of celebration. Congrats bhjazz and to your parents boomana...a half century+ of marriage is an incredible accomplishment.

That flight wasn't fun at times, but it wasn't exactly death-defying. I did, however, just miss getting clocked on the head by my own laptop. I had taken my laptop out of my briefcase and left it in the overhead because I couldn't fit it anywhere by me seat, and then fell asleep after take-off. The flight attendant opened the bin directly over my head and it flew out and hit her arm and crashed to the ground. I slept through it all, but she told me much later when I took it down to use it. It worked fine, the Dell POS.

As for Claire's job situation, thanks for the kind remarks. She is really bummed out and doesn't know how many times the ground will shift before Fall. There is only one open teaching job in her field open in the whole Bay Area. And Shelly, she is a Ph.D. and was formerly a professor, but she teaches high school now and prefers it. I do hope something works out because this is getting depressing.

Al, sorry to hear about Claire's job situation. My brother just retired from teaching (two weeks left), not because he wanted to retire, but because if he hadn't, his pension would basically suck as they're making huge cuts. He really wasn't given an option.