The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

21 minutes ago, crappyjones123 said:

Critiques are welcome. Help me avoid mistakes in the future. 

I do think the body is a very difficult subject with enormous benchmarks.

I really don’t know that much about the technicalities of photographic art, but I do know what I like and don’t like when I see an image. I would never be as bold or think to enforce my opinion as your mistake. And my comment was only based only on the recent crop of images that caused a stir, I have enjoyed many of your works throughout these pages. 

Hopefully Julie never finds out but I snuck out in the middle of the night to grab this shot of the Cliffs of Moher when the moon was out. There was no ambient light (in fact you can see the lights from the distant town just above the cliffs on the left if you look closely). It was most likely a very foolish thing to do as I remember the winds being close to 30mph and I wasn't all that far from the cliff edges but I had the exact spot in mind and it wasn't too far of a hike from where I parked. You can see the brightness of the moon seeping in from the right. I just wish it weren't so cloudy - I am sure I could have gotten some amazing stars in there as well. Probably not because of how bright the moon was but it was amazing to be able to walk around without needing a flashlight (I had one regardless). I probably took maybe 15 long exposures before heading back. Due to the high winds all of them were unfortunately blurry - this was the least blurry. After a LOT of post, this is the best I could come up with. I didn't want to go overboard with saturation but this is about as close to the actual scene I remember. If it weren't cold (Julie doesn't do well with cold :( ) it certainly would be on the top of my list of places to retire to. 

I spent a good few hours playing around with this image. I have some great memories just trying to capture the scene. Hope it comes through in the final edit and that you like it :) 

DSC_8059-Edit-Edit_HDR.jpg

CJ, I like the shots.  If my wife was having them taken, I think I'd be happy how they turned out.  They look comfortable in them, to me, so you're doing a good job.

The first of the set above, of the blonde woman, could use a little work in post.  Her hair makes her head look lopsided (higher on her left side, lower on her right) and she has some flyaways.  The background is pretty forgiving, you could bump and smudge slightly to round it out without looking unnatural, I would think.

Peter, I require more pictures of Colorado.  Also, there's a bedroom for you in Turkey.  If I can get some photos out of the deal, I'm happy to help with a ticket as well.

Noted Reks, I'll try to approach the next set differently. It's the look that the ladies wanted. Maybe because they have seen some past images that had the washed out look so it's a cyclical thing. 

Thanks for the kind words Tyler. I'll see what I can do about the lopsided hair =/ 

Below is the view from today's shoot location :) High rise penthouse in Miami. 

DSC_0682-Edit-2.jpg

• Like 4

Lisa.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks Doug, Jacob and Rob. There was a hawk that I kept trying to get in the middle of the frame where the sun was coming in but the fucker refused to go there. 

I was quite pleased and very surprised at what the humble nikon 50/1.4 could do with good light. I don't remember using the lens stopped down. Will have to check exif data but I think I was below f/5.6.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2015 at 1:20 PM, grawk said:

Nothing about this impacts your freedom of speech.  You don't have a right to post ANYTHING here.  

Late to the party so I'm not gonna even comment on the actual photo drama one way or the other. This though is a good point people using the "free country" or "freedom of speech" thing to defend their behavior should keep in mind.

People are free to post what they want, other people are also free to tell you exactly what they think of your post or even remove the ability for you to post. And in HC tradition, punches are not pulled when someone does decide to do so, which is awesome.

• Like 4