Custom Turntable Build

swt61

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve:

does the tape ride up and down like it did with the proto plinth you had at my place? Also, it would probably be worthwhile letting the thing "break in" and discharging the battery once and letting it recharge before the weekend.

Oh yeah, and it looks great :)

It's dead accurate, no travel at all. I think the problem before was the hand drilled hole in the makeshift plinth for the bearing. The platter is smooth as silk and the motor pulley is spinning perfectly. The only wobble whatsoever is when the tape splice hits the pulley, but even that is minimal.

I'm running the battery down now.

n_maher-albums-smileys-picture134-thholysheep.gif + n_maher-albums-smileys-picture127-icon-pray.gif

Thanks guys! Nate it'd be fun to team up on a project one day and combine our different skills. I'm constantly amazed by Yourself, Naaman, Vortex and AMB.

Well with a big thanks to luvdunhill (again), we got her up and running at Saturdays Houston meet.

Marc brought about 10-15 Lbs. of lead shot which I used every ounce of. He got the new cartridge mounted, and schooled me on some of the finer points of tweakage. We got her sounding pretty darn good. Considering the limited time factor, wobbly table and such, I was very impressed. Beginners luck for sure, because I've never built a plinth before, but good advice goes a long way.

We didn't have a lot of gain for sure, but I bought a step up transformer last night, and it should be here in a few days. We did get a very quiet background even with the β22 cranked to max volume.

Marc the table does have noticeably better low end set up here in my system. I'm guessing it's the solid 3" Maple slab under it. It's dead level now too, which wasn't easy to get on that folding table.

I'll report back after the Consonance PM-3 step up arrives. I'm quite pleased with the Zu DL 103 though.

Here's Marc getting ready to settle in for first listen.

Img0330.jpg

Knowing that you just ordered a dustcover, I think it would look fantastic if you windowpaned one yourself. Build a wooden frame with slats and use sheets of acrylic in between them. I suppose the weight could be an issue, but I'm not an expert at anything.

I don't doubt that the custom cover will look great, but I wonder if it is majestic enough...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, it 's great to see you over here!

That was a backup motor to have just in case. I had purchased the first Maxon and all the parts for your awesome speed controller earlier, from someone who had no time to complete the build.

Then Marc put it all together for me. The woodwork was the easy part.