Genital Pictures....oh, and pens

naamanf

People still use checks?

Yeah, so they can have a reason for fountain pens.  I have found the more pens I buy, the less reason I have at work to use them.  Our industry is going paperless so I am limited to note taking and signing off on documents. Digital progress sucks.

Yeah, so they can have a reason for fountain pens.  I have found the more pens I buy, the less reason I have at work to use them.  Our industry is going paperless so I am limited to note taking and signing off on documents. Digital progress sucks.

May I suggest a career change to municipal administration? We kill as many trees as possible. One of the CAOs I worked with recently wrote out all council resolutions, some very long ones, by hand.

I received the Montblanc.  I got to write one gorgeously smooth sentence before asking my wife if she wanted to try it (since she slightly likes pens).  I then got to watch her drop it right on its nib, damaging the nib.  Mother.  Fucker.  Anybody have a recommendation on where to send it?

Get in touch with Hirsch -- he'll know who to send it to.

It is a vintage pen, so no warranty.  They want $275 to change the nib, here, and you have to send the pen in unless you are close to an actual Montblanc store, and not just a jewelry store that sells them (and I'm not).

I just traded a knife for a excellent condition mid 1980's 149, which I should have in a few days.  That makes me feel better.  I wasn't using the knife, anyway (the last of my Heijis).

Ouch, that's some cash for the new nib :( If it can be fixed I'd try it, in the worst case a new one can be installed at any moment.

I can now, in an extremely limited fashion, contribute to this thread.  For the last few weeks the pens that work supplies have been driving me nuts.  They're fat, write like shit and are just plain frustrating.  But I wasn't about to use a fountain pen.  So I did a bit of research and yesterday a Retro 1951 Tornado in stainless steel finish arrived.  It both looks and writes excellently.  

retro-51-tornado-pens-stainless-5.jpg

• Like 3

That looks nice, Nate. The pens at my work are terrible as well - I usually grab a whole box of them since at least half of them won't write at all.

Speaking of fat pens, I need to grab Tombow 505 pens and pencils now that they're readily available.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

I should clarify, it's the tip of the work pens that are fat.  Like 1.2mm ballpoint fat.  While I can't write well with fine or extra-fine point pens this is the other end of the spectrum and equally as useless (to me).

I also grabbed some .7mm uni-ball jet stream pens.

I tired both of my purchases today.  The Tornado is fantastic, the jetstream, ehhh, maybe I got a bad batch but it doesn't write nearly as well as expected even coupled with the expectation that it's a cheap pen ($3/ea).  It's also crazy to see the variance in line width between two .7mm pens.  The Tornado is pretty much as expected, the jetstream is much, much thinner, doesn't float and feels scratchy.  Some of that is down to the crap paper that I'm writing on but that's not going to change any time soon.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Of the handful of pens I bought recently, I have developed a fondness for the Omas Paragon and Montblanc 149.  

A Montblanc with a thinner nub like the Omas would be better than the thicker nub I have, but they are both great.

I go back and forth as to which one feels better in the hand, but the Omas is definitely the most unique feeling pen I've held.  Ribbed for my pleasure.

Now I don't care for writing with the Lamy 2000 at all, the nub is quite short coming from the above pens.  But I thought it great before trying the above.

It's kind of hilarious to pick up a ball point pen now...RAGE QUIT.

I'm very disappointed with my new Sailor 1911L broad nib fountain pen. I had expected it to be like a Montblanc 146 medium, but better, but it's quite inferior to both of my Montblanc 146 mediums. Very scratchy for the money. I've looked at the nib with a loupe, and it appears to be perfectly even. Perhaps some use will smooth it out. I could always micro-mesh the nib, as well, but I didn't think I'd have to.

Every Sailor I owned was glassy smooth. So smooth that I'd actually prefer a bit of feedback. Something is definitely amiss with yours.

As far as Asian nibs go for me you can't beat the feel of a Nakaya. The perfect balance of smoothness/feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

I had been expecting it to be very smooth, from what I've read.  I'll see about sending it back to Sailor for work.  Doesn't Nakaya use Platinum nibs?  I've haven't used a Platinum pen...

If I recall correctly its some guys from Platinum that started Nakaya. Pretty much the same nibs.

Ok, you guys got to me! Decided to give it a shot with an inexpensive Pilot Metro and Noodler's Bullet Proof black. Enjoyed it so much, that I got a Lamy Safari, which I like even better, so then a Peikan M200 and Iroshizuku asa-gao. I also bought a Rhodia Moleskin-Style notebook with Clairefontaine paper in it, which I haven't opened yet. 

Unfortunately, already have dropped the Pilot Metro and bent the nib, so that one is gone . Hopefully, a newb error. :(e0539b2777739804b9a47634d415c257.jpg

Edited by jvlgato