New TTVJ FET-A Headphone Amp / Preamp

Voltron

I just received the TTVJ FET-A from Todd for a loaner session. It looks and sounds great so far, and he has resolved the minor issues with the prototype faceplate. I will try to post pics tonight or tomorrow, but I am already listening to it as a preamp and the initial impression is very favorable. The sound is detailed, rich and full in my desktop setup, and the background / idle state is completely quiet. I am taking the output from my HeadRoom Desktop Amp into the TTVJ FET-A, and then into my HeadRoom Desktop Power Amps, out the Harbeths and into my ears. Because the amp has about 1 hour of burn-in, this will be a good way to log some hours while I am at work. I don't have headphones in my office, but I will see if somebody has some or just check that out tonight.

It looks like Pete and Todd have put together a great addition to their line-up. Plus, you just gotta love the "No Opamps" logo on the the thing! :D

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just contemplating having one of those sent my way. I got the HP-2s in today and I actually have nothing to plug them in to. I thought I had a Melos in the closet but I must have gotten rid of it at some point. Just looking for a temporary solution while I figure out what single-ended/balanced amp I want to put in the system.

I guess you don't have the Luxman yet to compare it to?

I was just contemplating having one of those sent my way. I got the HP-2s in today and I actually have nothing to plug them in to. I thought I had a Melos in the closet but I must have gotten rid of it at some point. Just looking for a temporary solution while I figure out what single-ended/balanced amp I want to put in the system.

I guess you don't have the Luxman yet to compare it to?

No Luxman yet, but I will be comparing it with the Eddie Current EC/SS. Do you know that amp? I can try out some Grados with it and give you my thoughts on that combination in any event.

Edited by Voltron

I know the EC amp. I was going to buy the Luxman after remember enjoying it when I listened to it at the last NY meet but then I saw that guy on Head-fi that might be backing out of his Balancing Act pre-order and I thought I might be forced to try to get on the list for one of those.

It has been so long since I listened to headphones, with the exception of the Omega IIs once in a while, and I am behind the times for headphone amps.

Have fun with her Al - remember to send her my way when your done:D

Will be nice to compare to the EC/SS on my end as well. Really excited to hear it perform as a preamp in my speaker system.

Don't worry Ryan, I know you are second in line! You might want to PM me your address at some point, but as I told Todd, I am taking this little beauty with me on a trip next week. I will ship out on the 23rd or so. :)

Don't worry Ryan, I know you are second in line! You might want to PM me your address at some point, but as I told Todd, I am taking this little beauty with me on a trip next week. I will ship out on the 23rd or so. :)

You got it - I'll let you know when I start getting antsy:D

I am glad Todd and Pete are on board with this. I think the market could really use another sub $1000 discrete solid state design. Justin's GS-1 is utterly fantastic, one of my first real reviews I did for 6moons, but it never hurts to have more options for the consumer. Craig never went forward with his mid priced solid state discrete, and was supposed to release discrete modules for the EC/SS, but that never bore any fruit.

That is a pretty ugly casing job. The power connector is marked +/-15V, so I would think a DPS should work. If it is using the same Elpac (WM071 something) then the pinout would be the same. If you try it, I would check output DC offset before I plugged anything into it.

Depends on if the output voltage matches for the DPS and the Elpac...

Does the amp really only draw 0.3A?

Edit: It also depends on if the same connectors are used. :D

Well the GL product page says it operates at up to 15V like the FET-A. Also the DC jacks look the same: http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/lite/images/lite_back_med.jpg

I didn't notice before the FET-A has loop output, cool. Now I'm curious how it might compare to the GL or GS-1...